Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam the rabbit.
Sam was a wild field rabbit's newborn baby who was orphaned because his mother was run over by mistake.  My farmer husband ask me if I would raise him.  I used a baby doll bottle and he loved the warm milk.  He grew into a larger  baby bottle, rabbit pellet food and fresh greens fast. He loved me as his mom and he was my baby boy. We moved him outside to a  wire and wood rabbit house with a long run.  He was a big boy now and ate on his own.  He liked to come back into the house with me.  He would often sit on the top of my upright piano whIle I played the piano.    He loved piano and would sit very quietly for a long time.  One day I saw movement on top of the piano.  Sam was swaying to the Chopin selection I was playing he was  in time with the metronome moving back and forth and the same direction as the metronome .  I would adjust the metronome to a faster tempo and he would adjust in perfect time. I was shocked.  He would stop to grind his teeth in the very romantic sections and start swaying again  when the piano music became less romantic. I do have a newspaper clipping of him in a Santa hat for our church ad.  My best friend came over to see  him perform and  decided to use him for our church publicity  ad.  I wondered how she would keep Sam still in the studio for his picture.  She brought out a music box and Sam was very still listening while the photograph was made. I will post the picture of Sam when I figure out how.  Sandy B
Sam sounds like a remarkable rabbit. They are sweeties, I know. Thanks for sharing your story. Smile

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
That is an amazng story. I have never heard of a rabbit moving in time to music before. Sam is special - but you know that already!

When I was a young boy my mother rescued a rabbit from Richmond Park, who was clearly a stray domestic rabbit as he approached her and started running around her legs. She kept him, and he continued to run around her legs much of his life. He lived indoors with the family and did his toilet business in one or two reserved places.

Please keep us updated about the adventures of Sam and his interest in music!
LPC the rabbit had dog behavior from your description.  Great your mother found him a good home with her and her family.  They love the indoor home as most are lovable as you know.  Did your rabbit want cuddling and come to you for affection?  Sandy B
Sam later had a brother added to his rabbit pen.  My friend who loved him too,  Suzanne,  and who arranged for him to be  in our local paper, she was the news reporter for the newspaper with her own column, called me and asked if I wanted a friend for Sam.  She found a small half grown wild rabbit all alone in her garden.  I told her bring him on over as Sam gets lonely as an only rabbit in our family.  Suzanne named him Randy.  Well Sam was elated to have Randy and was very kind to him.  Randy looked up to Sam as a father figure. Life was good and better with our new friend Randy.  Later Sam died and we decided to let Randy be free now and he never looked back when we set him free.  I hoped he would come return to us on his own but Randy was grown now and had his own  life to live.  Sandy B
Sam sounds like he was a special rabbit. I have never thought of rabbits and music because they are so quiet.
I have never thought of playing music for the rabbit the boards with me.

Maybe Sam liked music because you, his mom, liked music.  After all he would have wanted to do anything you were doing. If you were doing music then he would have wanted to be interested.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Could be that he just wanted company and to interact.  I had another rabbit years later, Susie, she was a French  long hanging ears rabbit.  She loved music too.  I had a baby grand and  she would sit under the piano by my left foot , the soft pedal.  As long as I played she would stay there, if I went to the bathroom she would come with me and wait outside the door then follow me back to the piano again.  I had pneumonia and I cuddled with her and she caught pneumonia.  I was so sad I did this not thinking about her catching pneumonia too.  The vet saved her and told me not to play with her when I was ill.  I told him never again . Sandy B
You've had some lovely rabbits over the years, Sandy. You will have a lot of pets waiting for you much later, when you cross over.

My mother's rabbit (called rather unoriginally "BunBun") was a male. He would jump on our laps sometimes - but when he wanted. He was not keen on being picked up; he had to choose when to jump up. If someone did pick him up for a cuddle and he didn't want it, he used to spray us with urine to teach us a lesson, LOL! But he was very affectionate and we kept him until he crossed over.

I am so pleased that both you and Susie recovered from pneumonia.
I didn't know that rabbits could catch pneumonia from us. It is good to know that.

I can picture a rabbit wanting to be independent and only be held when he wanted it. Rabbits do seem to know what they want.
The rabbit I board is very easy going, but he still likes to do things his own way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine