Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegan Recipes
That sounds good and I have all the ingredients. If it stays cold I should put another pot of soup on the stove.
The navy bean is very filling and satisfying. 

I need to make some biscuits to go with it though.

Mayo is usually just oil and egg blended together with vinegar and lemon. The real trick is how the oil and egg are blended. You can't just add stuff together. The oil has to be added slowly while it is being beaten. It fluffs right up if you are doing it right.
I am not sure how they make it eggless. I will see if I can find a recipe.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Mayo. is usually so fattening and not really good for us. Small amounts may not be as bad. I would be interested in an eggless mayo.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I found this website that has 40 recipes using quinoa. I bought some today and haven't a clue how to cook it.

http://ohmyveggies.com/40-vegetarian-quinoa-recipes/

I have given it a quick glance and it looks good. I will want to look the site over more tomorrow at a time when I could cook something.

Right now quinoa is mystery food. It looks interesting, but I don't know what to do with it.
Catherine

Did you know quinoa is pronounced Ki-naw? I learned that on the website. I'm going to make some. I heard you have to rinse it real good so it won't taste bitter. I bought the white kind. I will try the other colors in time. I found a website were you can buy it cheaper than where I did. Here is the link:

https://nuts.com/organic

Someone told me how to pronounce quinoa, but I have trouble spelling it when I pronounce it that way.

I must remember to rinse before I cook. I have white and it tastes okay so I know I need to learn to season it. I also bought some red and black quinoa, but I have not even looked at it yet.

Do the different colours taste different.

I am sure once we master quinoa we will be able to make a great many healthy meals. 

I understand it is good in salads.
Catherine

Well, I think some of the recipes will probably make it taste better. Yes, I heard the different colors of quinoa taste somewhat different.

I had hummus on rye bread yesterday for breakfast and hummus on 12 grain bread today. It tastes so good and Suzy likes it, too.

Quote:See a few of my friends and I were talking about this, including my spanish friends and they said that everyone is pronouncing quinoa wrong and that it is traditionally pronounced kee-no-ah.
That is how I pronounce it in my head. It sounds like the right way based on the spelling. I wonder what language the word comes from.
On its own it is bland. It must need sauces and seasonings or it could be added to soups, stews and muffins.
I must try the other flavours, after I have spent some time reading the recipes. I always have to adapt them to what I can eat. I leave out or substitute if there is some ingredient that I can't tolerate.
Hummus on toast is great. Interesting that Suzy likes it. It does have a nice texture though and the crunch of the toast makes it a satisfying meal.  It even has an appealing colour. Food does have to appeal to us if we are going to enjoy it.
Catherine

Yes, we all like appealing food. Did you look at the website with the 40 quinoa recipes yet? I haven't looked back at it yet but will.

I still have to look at the recipes. It is a busy week and there is a bad storm out there so getting to work and back is going to be tough.  Maybe on the weekend I can read them.  Recipes take time. I need to think about whether I like the idea of a food and then would I actually make it.
Catherine