Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Bear Rainforest
Greenpeace and a lot of other groups have been working for years to save the Great Bear Rainforest from loggers and developers.

When they started only 5% was protected. Now 85% is protected.
This is an incredible victory. If you ever doubt that all the petitions and donations and just general supporting causes matters. Here is the proof. This is a wonderful life-giving victory.

https://act.greenpeace.org/ea-action/act...ration_gbr

This means the rare and beautiful Spirit Bear has a place to live and grow in safety. The Spirit Bear is basically a white grizzly bear. The world would be a poorer place if we lost these beautiful creatures.  This means the people who cherish this land can continue to cherish it and its creatures for generations to come.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is wonderful news. It is gratifying to know that the petitions etc. do work.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
There are still some hunting permits out there, but they are working on buying them back.  It has been a lot of work, but it will have been be worth it when you think of this wonderful area of the world continuing in beauty and peace.

I have been to the west coast and the beauty is breathtaking. I have never seen a Spirit Bear, but just knowing they are out there is inspiring.
Catherine

This is such good news. I never doubt the impact of petitions. I also hope laws change to protect all animals some day and the sooner the better.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think there are a lot of movements out there to protect animals and the environment. The two big ones that I need to look up have to do with cage free eggs and banning animal testing for cosmetics. There is stuff happening there.

Just saying that the Spirit Bear should be saved was a really big step. Fighting the battle to protect the bear and having positive results will now serve as an example of what can be done. Every victory gives wings to the next efforts. I think caring for animals and the environment is like a snowball rolling down a hill. It gets bigger and stronger and faster as it rolls. I think we will live to see a better world.
Catherine

It is a great achievement, to go from 5% to 85% protected in that time.
It's good that the bear has a right to its own life and territory. We have enough claim on every square yard of this Earth! It is time we respected other creatures. Humans march over animals' territories, causing damage for the sake of money.
I am glad the bear has a chance now.
The bears and other creatures have lived in the forests for hundreds of years. Why did we ever think we had the right to cut down the trees and kill the animals. 

The west coast is littered with  trees that were cut down and wasted. They wash ashore all along the coast, great big trees, that should still be there reaching for the sky, giving life to the planet.

I hope this protection is just the beginning. There are so many other areas that need protection.

I know they have bought prairie land and have let it return to nature and reintroduced animals that had been lost to the area.

There is a lot to be done, but I take encouragement from a victory like this.
Catherine

Yes, this is great! So much needs to be done for our wild life but one project at a time will get done.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think in Ontario they are preserving an area called the Greenbelt. Big tracts of land are off limits to developers. It keeps the cities from destroying the countryside. I will do a post if I can find a good article to explain it.

I just feel such a sense of relief about the great bear rainforest. It is one of my favourite places.
Catherine