Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange situation with Mrs Yang (dog rescuer)
(02-07-2016, 10:07 AM)Ruth Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 12:08 PM)Tobi Wrote: I know Ruth. It is horrific.
The people and charities who work to try and help these dogs and cats have my greatest respect. They must see and encounter things that are indescribable.

They have my utmost respect, too.  I don't know if I am thinned skinned or what but I can't stand to see animals suffer.  It is so terrible what humans do to animals.  Humans need to be the ones in cages and the animals outside of them is what I think at times!

No, I don't think it's because you are thin-skinned Ruth. Most people who love animals feel as you do. I know I do. It takes a very special kind of person to work with dogs or any animals in these situations. I am sure if you and I were there, we would roll up our sleeves and do our best to bring some comfort to those dogs. But the people from the rescues and charities have a very special kind of spirit, I think, to get to grips with the awful things which happen, and to be able to work through the minefield of a country's laws to help however they can. Thank goodness they do, and they are strong Souls.
But thanks to the internet, there are still things that people like us can do -in any animal abuse situation worldwide.

But I do admit, some things are too hard to view or cope with emotionally. That is because you have a good heart, and those things are foreign to you.
It is good to be that sensitive. I would worry if the animal abuse didn't bother me.

I think if any of us were there we would start cleaning up. We would do our best to make things nice for the dogs.
Maybe Mrs. Yang started out that way and then it got to be too much for her. Certainly she is not very organized.

I am suspicious about her evasive answers. Losing a key is not an answer. It is an excuse. There are locksmiths that could open the lock. I am really starting to doubt Mrs. Yang.

The animals are clearly not getting proper care. I hope the local groups can do something. I just don't know if there are  laws and procedures in China that would allow them to rescue the dogs.

This is so bad. It calls into question the rescue work done by other good people and that is not fair. Many people are doing good things in the world. We must not lose faith in them because of this one problem.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There is always this nagging suspicion that the missing dogs could could have been sold on (possibly even back to dog traders). Also, why refuse food but accept money - and then only to a personal account?

We just don't know the full truth for sure, but thank you, Tobi, for drawing our attention to this worrying report.
(02-08-2016, 12:35 PM)Catherine Wrote: This is so bad. It calls into question the rescue work done by other good people and that is not fair. Many people are doing good things in the world. We must not lose faith in them because of this one problem.

There are reputable Rescue Groups in China. Animals Asia is one of them. They work so very hard, and many do liaise with Western groups (such as NTDM) I think Animals Asia were a large part of a rescue of dogs on a truck intended for the meat trade in Tianjin last year. I think I made a post about it here somewhere with pictures, or a website/facebook link?....but the dogs were eventually safe and went to Rescue facilities (Not Mrs Yang's.)

Individuals who rescue need careful monitoring. Sometimes they can have a 'hoarder' mentality, or their intentions can exceed their practical abilities or funds. Even in the UK, and US, there are people who genuinely want to rescue animals, but don't have all the pieces in place or the funding organised properly to be able to do that without some suffering on the animals' part.
Even to keep one dog costs a lot of money. Dogs do not run on fresh air alone. And sooner or later they need medical care.
(02-08-2016, 04:25 AM)Tobi Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 10:07 AM)Ruth Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 12:08 PM)Tobi Wrote: I know Ruth. It is horrific.
The people and charities who work to try and help these dogs and cats have my greatest respect. They must see and encounter things that are indescribable.

They have my utmost respect, too.  I don't know if I am thinned skinned or what but I can't stand to see animals suffer.  It is so terrible what humans do to animals.  Humans need to be the ones in cages and the animals outside of them is what I think at times!

No, I don't think it's because you are thin-skinned Ruth. Most people who love animals feel as you do. I know I do. It takes a very special kind of person to work with dogs or any animals in these situations. I am sure if you and I were there, we would roll up our sleeves and do our best to bring some comfort to those dogs. But the people from the rescues and charities have a very special kind of spirit, I think, to get to grips with the awful things which happen, and to be able to work through the minefield of a country's laws to help however they can. Thank goodness they do, and they are strong Souls.
But thanks to the internet, there are still things that people like us can do -in any animal abuse situation worldwide.

But I do admit, some things are too hard to view or cope with emotionally. That is because you have a good heart, and those things are foreign to you.

Thank you Tobi for your kind post.  My dog Suzy is a rescue and she had psychological problems from abuse when I got her.  She was scared to death of everything.  After 3 years she is a very friendly and happy dog.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am glad things worked out for Suzy.  She is a real treasure now and so happy with you.

I guess it is better to work with the big rescue groups. They are already established and are able to work larger numbers of animals in an emergency.  They are usually run by a group of people and they have some sort of structure to their work.

When it is just one person rescuing it can become overwhelming very quickly. 

I don't know if Mrs. Yang is a legitimate rescuer and I don't know what happened to the dogs she rescued.
It is the same with the fundraising posts we get. Maybe some are real, but we know most are not. Maybe a warning sign was the fact that Mrs. Yang was working alone. She should have had a team of volunteers helping her. No one person could keep up with caring for so many animals.

The refusing food and demanding the money does make me doubt her. Undecided
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine