Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Bailee and Danny photo
Yes, they have a little tiny bathtub with a mirror on the bottom. They love it. But I don't put it out unless it is warm outside. In this temperature now it is too risky for them to catch a draft. It's supposed to dip below zero here tonight so it's not the time to use the tub.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I was just thinking zero is not that cold, but I remembered you mean zero F.  That is cold! It is also the same as the -17C we have here.

I don't bath the guinea pigs right now either. It is just too cold.

Their bath sounds cute. Birds do love bathing. I wonder if my doves would bath? Maybe I could give them a bath in the warmer weather.

How are the birds liking food on floor level?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I haven't put the food on the floor yet. I have to figure out what to put it in. I think I have a cap for cans that I can use that would make it easy for them to peck at. Both of them have not been on the floor today but once I put the food down there I think they will fly to the floor and look at it. This afternoon when I awoke and got the birds up (I close and cover their cage for sleep) and opened their cage door they were both on the swing together and looked so cute. They have really been making out a lot today. I call it beaking!

Yes, 0 degrees F is pretty cold and the wind chill is supposed to be about 10 to 15 degrees less than that even. I think I plugged up the window that was leaking air. It's certainly not as cold in here as it was last time it was this temperature. I should really use the window kit that I have to cover the window. I'll have to use my hair dryer to shrink the window wrap. I have a huge front window in the living room where the birds are and cold air seeps in through it. I just have to get motivated to do that.

I have cold spots like that. I have a whole room that is unheated. I have a small heater for it, but in this really cold weather it would be too expensive to run the heater. When it warms even a little I can use the room again.

Windows are bad for drafts. My whole bathroom is cold. The back of the house is poorly insulated.
Good thing winter is not too long. There are many things we can't  do.

I am sure the birds will be interested in food on the floor. It will give them a different feeding experience.
You must get a picture when they starting eating like that.
Catherine

I put the lid on the floor with bird food and Suzy got into it. It has veggies and fruit in it too. So I took it off the floor. There are a few seeds left on the floor the birds may find.

I was thinking of a dish of seed. Most dogs wouldn't touch that. Fruits and veggies would be different. Some dogs eat fruits and veggies.  So what did Suzy get into.

I know a dog who eats blueberries. I spilled a bunch of them on the floor and they all disappeared. Then I realized that my clients little dog had blue stains around his mouth.
Catherine

Suzy likes blueberries as well as some other fruit. I introduced her to bananas last week and she took a bite and then another bite and she likes them. She doesn't like apples.

Bailee and Danny are so beautiful, and they both look so happy. It's nice to have two, because they will be such loving companions for each other, as well as for you.

I don't think any dog will be interested in bird seed. I have heard of dogs who eat socks....and a number of other unmentionables! Smiley4....usually resulting in emergency surgery!

I have a similar problem as you have, with my windows, Ruth. Not so much that they leak too badly, but that they are only single-glazed (my house was built way back in time!) I bought some clear strong acetate film on a roll, and cut it to shape. Fortunately my windows have wooden surrounds. I then bought lots of tiny magnets and glued them on both the acetate and the window frames -but I believe you can buy magnetic strip. It did work to a certain extent, but if we got a very strong wind, they would peel off. So I bought stronger magnets.
The acetate was very clean and clear with no wrinkles, and looked quite good.
Would you believe I only did that for my dog? When she left the Earth, I couldn't be bothered to go and round up every cut-to-size piece, clean them and put them back up. So they are stored carefully and await my inspiration one day.
They really are beautiful birds and they look so happy together.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
(02-14-2016, 04:30 AM)Tobi Wrote: Bailee and Danny are so beautiful, and they both look so happy. It's nice to have two, because they will be such loving companions for each other, as well as for you.

I don't think any dog will be interested in bird seed. I have heard of dogs who eat socks....and a number of other unmentionables! Smiley4....usually resulting in emergency surgery!

I have a similar problem as you have, with my windows, Ruth. Not so much that they leak too badly, but that they are only single-glazed (my house was built way back in time!) I bought some clear strong acetate film on a roll, and cut it to shape. Fortunately my windows have wooden surrounds. I then bought lots of tiny magnets and glued them on both the acetate and the window frames -but I believe you can buy magnetic strip. It did work to a certain extent, but if we got a very strong wind, they would peel off. So I bought stronger magnets.
The acetate was very clean and clear with no wrinkles, and looked quite good.
Would you believe I only did that for my dog? When she left the Earth, I couldn't be bothered to go and round up every cut-to-size piece, clean them and put them back up. So they are stored carefully and await my inspiration one day.

Thank you!  I agree they are beautiful.  My camera is not so good though and their colors are lighter in real life.  Those 2 are really getting along well.  They have started kissing for long periods of time.  I wonder if we will have babies one day.

Sounds like a good way to seal out the air.  Yes, I know we do things for our pets we wouldn't do for ourselves.  Just shows how important they are to us.