Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canine Epilepsy Help
Hi folks

I wasn't sure where to post this. The title is canine epilepsy help but it also applies to cats. Basically I came across a great site for people who have animals that suffer from epilepsy. If I'm honest I didn't even know dogs and cats had epilepsy as I had not come across it before.

The site is called canine epilepsy and has a wealth of information, covering everything from research, medicine and holistic therapies. 

Hopefully this may help anyone here who has pets that suffer from epilepsy. Please share the site wherever you can to spread the awareness. It must be really horrible watching your dog have a seizure and feel so helpless.
Animal Communication & Reiki at Talking to Animals
Thank you for this thread Jason! It will be so very helpful to those who do have an animal who suffers from epilepsy. I am also a helper on another forum, a dogs' medical help forum, (MedHelp Dogs) and would like to post this link there too, as we do often get questions about canine epilepsy.

I never had a dog who suffered from this so have no first-hand knowledge of it, or any in-depth knowledge about its management, apart from a smattering of information. And so I am grateful for the link you posted.
Thank you Jason. It's good to have that information for those who have pets with epilepsy. I've known about epilepsy in dogs for a long time because my mom had a dog many years ago and she had seizures. A lot of dogs have epilepsy.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I have known dogs that were epileptic. It helps to have up to date information. I think any animal can have a seizure. Knowing what to do and knowing what treatments  are available is a big help.

Thanks for posting this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

And it's interesting because I saw a video a few weeks ago that showed how dogs can be trained to let human epilepsy sufferers know when a seizure is coming, and they help them during the episode.

Yes Tobi please do share the link!
Animal Communication & Reiki at Talking to Animals
Jason, good to "see" you again on the forum! Great link - useful site. Please do share the link to the video you mentioned in your last post - perhaps in a separate thread.

I will share your link re epilepsy in dogs on another animal forum.
I, too, have heard of dog's that can sense a human's seizure coming on. Dogs are such sensitive beings and I just love them so much!

There are dogs trained to sense epilepsy. They can save the life of someone with epilepsy. They can't stop the seizure, but the person can take precautions so they don't get hurt.

Dogs really are amazing. Heart
Catherine

Yes, service dogs can be trained to sense many different things happening.

I understand that there are dogs that can smell a cancerous tumor. If we had enough of these dogs we would be able to avoid many invasive tests. We could catch things much earlier when treatment has a better chance of working.

I don't know if a dog can be trained for this or if they have to have a natural talent.
Catherine