Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protein Sources
Smile 
I am not buying any meat any more and thank Catherine for giving me the idea of eating nuts for protein.  I got a 2 pound bag today from Amazon.  They are so tasty, I couldn't stop eating them.  I have slowed down now, though.  There are plenty left for the coming days.

What protein sources other than meat do you like?   Smiley16

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Plant based proteins are incomplete so you need to combine them.

there are three main groups:  Nuts
                                           Grains, rices, etc.
                                           Lentils, beans, chick peas etc.

Any meal or at least any day's meals need protein from at least two sources. I make a loaf of kidney beans and rice. Peanut butter and toast are good. I add nuts to my corn flakes. Grain dishes with nuts and lentil dishes with nuts are balanced. Lentils with grains is good. Meatless chillie with rice is good.  I have soup with hummus and some whole wheat toast.
Combining all three is even better.

Quinoa is supposed to be a complete protein. I have some, but I am not yet sure how to cook with it.  I think if you added it to anything else it would  complete the protein.

Protein is made of amino acids. There is a certain set of amino acids essential to good health. You must regularly eat them. Meat is the easiest source because it contains all the essential ones. Plant based foods contain some. To get the complete balance you need food from at least two of the groups at each meal.

It is like balancing any meal. You want to have vegetables and proteins and starches like bread or rice. The best thing to do is eat a variety of foods.

Once I figure out what to do with quinoa I will post recipes. It is a complete protein. I think once cooked it could be added to almost any meal.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks Catherine, it's good to get a review of the protein sources. When I was a vegetarian for 10 years I tried some of those combinations. I never heard of quinoa before and will have to look for it at Nature's Bin. A lot of the time I ate all kinds of veggie burgers and tofus and polanta. Have you ever tried tofurkey? I haven't but wonder what it tastes like.

Definitely make a good, hearty sauce or something delicious to go with quinoa. It is so bland and boring I almost want to gag eating it by itself lol.
I prefer chia seeds, I find it easier to combine with other foods, like making a yoghurt for breakfast, or you can bake with it, have it in a smoothie, plenty of options. It's also a complete protein ~17g of protein per 100g.
There's also this stuff called nut meat, which I've mentioned before. Contains good stuff like iron, zinc, B12, potassium and about 24g protein per 100g. Can be used pretty much any way you would normally use meat.

Heaps of other "grains/pseudograins" like spelt, kamut, millet, amaranth. Research some recipes
I have never tried chia seeds. I have not come across a source for nut meat. I am using nuts in combination with other foods.
I made a cashew coconut milk gravy. It has interesting seasonings so it is tasty.

I have eaten tofu and I have seen tofurkey.  I don't do well with soya so I am avoiding it. I will try it again later.

Quinoa is bland, but mixed into a stew or with a good sauce it should be okay. I just tried it recently to see if I can eat it. Now I need to see if I can make something good with it.

I seem to have a real love for chickpeas. I love the taste and they are so useful in recipes. Hummus is good and I add it to soup. I also have a recipe for chickpea balls that have nuts and squash and they are fried and served with gravy and rice.

I am gradually coming up with recipes that I like, that I can eat and I can easily get the ingredients. 

The Spelt and Kamut I can get and I think I can get them in the form of flour. If I do my own baking it makes sense to use more than white wheat flour. I add some oat flour to recipes and get a better tasting biscuit or muffin.
I am experimenting and trying new things.

I do listen to my body. If I feel hungry and craving something I will listen just in case I am missing something.
Catherine

There are so many different protein sources and that's important. I have made a mental note of all of them. Thank you for all that information.

(02-17-2016, 01:04 PM)platy Wrote: There's also this stuff called nut meat, which I've mentioned before. Contains good stuff like iron, zinc, B12, potassium...
Yes, platy, you are right to draw attention to the B12 issue. Vegans (as distinct from from vegetarians) can lack B12 in the long term. Co-enzyme Q10 is the other main issue, along with omega 3.

These days, it is easy to get these online (or from a pharmacy) for a small cost. No animals need be used for getting B12; it can be produced in a lab easily. I buy methyl-cobalamin (a form of B12 easily and naturally absorbed by the body). See http://www.metabolics.com/blog/the-best-...pplements/

Q10 is also easily obtainable as a supplement.  50mg is quite enough for any person per day.
I like tofurkey products, they use no GMO's, I also like Yves veggie meats. Catherine has already listed all the sources of protein I use. I think that cheese and eggs have protein too.
(02-18-2016, 09:33 AM)cathie Wrote: I like tofurkey products, they use no GMO's, I also like Yves veggie meats. Catherine has already listed all the sources of protein I use. I think that cheese and eggs have protein too.

Yes, eggs have a lot of protein and cheese has some and calcium and fat, too, unless you get the fat free kind.

Eggs, cheese and milk/yogurt are all good protein sources.  I think the best approach is to eat a variety of foods. That ensures a proper food balance.

I will have to look up sources of B12. Co 10 and omega three. I believe I am getting enough, but I am not sure.

I do take D3 because no one in Canada, especially in winter, has enough Vit D. We just don't have enough sunshine.

I think no matter what you eat it is good to be aware of nutrition. If you plan to eat without meat it is a matter of learning how to make balanced meals.

I have friends that do not eat meat for cultural/ religious reasons. They just naturally know what foods to combine to get complete proteins. Generations of cooking meat free has made it instinctive.

I think with practice most vegetarians and vegans find it easy to balance nutritional needs.
LPC, do you agree?
Catherine