Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farewell to Raven
Sadly my beautiful black corn snake, Raven, has died.  I have known for several weeks that the end was close. I am sorry she is gone and I am relieved that she is at peace.

She was a rehome and I have had her since 2011. She was supposed to have hatched around 2008, but I doubt that now.
I think 2002-2004 is a closer estimate. It is so hard to tell with reptiles.I am making comparisons to snakes whose ages I know.
She was 54 inches long. Not a bad size.

Raven was a beauty and I loved her at first sight. She was a quiet  gentle snake and she had  exceptional babies both with Earl and David. I have a beautiful son from Raven and Earl and they are about to become grandparents.

I have a sweet little baby from David and Raven and I think I will want to keep her. David will miss her. He has known she was dying and has been sweet with her. They were really close. The way he has looked at her all week I know he was aware that her time was short.
[Image: IMG_7803.JPG]
This is Raven when she first came to me, sharing a water dish with Caitrin. When I look at this picture now I realize how old she was and how old Caitrin is. The snake looking on is Earl.
[Image: IMG_9381.JPG]
Raven and David together. They were very close.

This was a temporary tank while I set up a proper terrarium. (Even I need at least 30 min for a set up.)
[Image: IMG_8992.JPG]
Raven was stunningly beautiful. So is Caitrin.

This is raven and earl's son, Sedona
[Image: IMG_0009.JPG]
He looks like Earl. That beautiful black colouring is not easy to get.

I am so glad I brought Raven home. We only had five years, but they were five good years and she was a happy snake.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sorry,  Catherine, it's always sad when we lose a pet.   Heart
I'm so sorry that Raven is gone Catherine. We will meet all of our pets again some day, I hope, at the Rainbow Bridge. I know you took good care of her. Those are nice pictures.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I'm so sorry to hear that Raven has gone. She was truly beautiful. What a lovely time she had with you and both of her mates.
It's very pleasing that there are grand children to carry on her line.
I hope David is ok. They do seem to know when the end is coming, don't they?
Hugs to you and all the "beasties" from me and all of mine.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Thank-you everyone. It is sad, but do take in older animals so I always know my time will be short.
Last spring a rehomed a pretty little female, Jenna, and she joined Raven and David. They have really been happy together and now David has Jenna to keep him company. Some part of me knew Raven was showing her age and I was thinking of David when I introduced them to Jenna.

Raven was so beautiful. I still can't understand why someone gave her up. They would have known how old she was. Well, their loss. I got to enjoy her final years and they were good years. Heart
Catherine

I am so sorry to read your news, Catherine. Yes, Raven was a very attractive snake. I see the closeness with David.

Crawl free and happy, Raven, on astral fields!
I am sorry for your loss Catherine. Raven is a lovely snake. What beautiful pictures of them all. Their close bond is clear to see. I am sure they will miss her very much. Heart
Thank-you everyone.

David is being very quiet. He is in his house with young Jenna and he is not even putting his nose out. I have noticed that when animals grieve they often spend time in hiding very quietly. It is like they honour their loved ones by  observing a short period of silence.
In a way we do the same thing.

Dear Raven, she is free and happy now. This last year her body has been failing and I knew she was older than her stated age.
Now she is young and free and can join Earl.

When the ground thaws I will place her next to Earl in a quiet place behind my little pond where the ferns grow. Perhaps I will get a special fern to plant over them. 

I have a shady corner in my garden and I put in a pond and filled the area with beautiful ferns of all different colours and types. Yes it is possible to have a "flowerbed" that is all ferns and still have a beautiful display.
Catherine

David is probably grieving, too. I used to have a garden where I buried my pets but don't have one any more. It's good you can put them in your yard and they will still be with you, in a way.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
David is still grieving. He wouldn't eat and he is still being very quiet. He refuses to leave his house and Jenna the younger female is staying with him.  He will be fine, but he needs time. He really liked Raven and they were together for years.

My garden is full of little areas where certain pets are buried. Raven will join Earl and Shiloh. I even have a hedgehog area under a rock in the front yard. It makes the garden more special to me and I know where my babies are resting.
Catherine