Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian Govt to kill 2 million feral cats
The Australian Government plans to kill over 2 million cats, with a $3.6m fund established to wipe colony cats off the face of the earth.

This high risk initiative includes a number of cat eradication programs including baiting, shooting, dogs and traps.

If you object to this please consider contacting your local Australian embassy or consulate or, if you're Australian, your local authorities suggesting that funds could be better and more humanely used on TNR (trap, neuter and release) or other programmes. Stiff penalties for those who abandon their pets would be useful, too.

There are also many online petitions, including this one: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/303/5...ustralia/#sign
Though I'm not Australian, I signed this petition, as I think this plan is despicable.
Thank you, Cathie. The petition given above is not only for Australians, so I signed, too, before posting here.
I signed and I put it on Facebook.

It is hard to believe that they are so stupid and so cruel. There is more than enough evidence now that catch and kill does not solve the problem. The Trap Neuter Release method works and eventually reduces the numbers of feral cats. It is being used in many places quite successfully. Why would any one go back to the last century to the brutal, useless kill method.

The sheer numbers of animals they would have to kill should tell them that they are wrong. There is so much that could go wrong. Other animals will get killed and the ecosystems can be damaged.

Worse the cat numbers are not reduced by this method.

If they used TNR they could get vast numbers of animal loving volunteers to help them. In Toronto the vets give their time to neuter the cats. The volunteers do the trapping and the Toronto Humane Society gives use of its clinic and other facilities.

Who would they even get to do the killing?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for signing, Catherine. I fear that the Australian Govt. will pay contractors, in view of the large sum allocated for the eradication. Contractors will want to kill quickly to make the most profit (time=wages to pay). It is not too late to make the Govt. change its mind, if the petition gets enough support quickly.
I signed it. I hope they will not go through with this senseless killing.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
If the outcry against it is big enough and international as well there is hope they will reconsider. No government wants to look bad in the eyes of the world.

I hope the big groups like Animals Australia, Peta and Mercy For Animals can put pressure on them.

The contractors will do it quickly and it will be brutal and who knows how many other animals will get killed as "collateral damage".
I can't imagine who suggested this as a solution to the feral cat problem.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for signing, Ruth.
I have signed. The idea is cruel and brutal. Trap, neuter, release with rabies inoculation is the most humane option....but I suppose the human rationale is: "it is more efficient" (meaning less manpower/fewer paid workers...i.e. less money!) to kill them -and in the most awful ways.
They are not just things which have become a nuisance and have to be got rid of. They are living feeling creatures with Souls.

Another heartless 'solution' to a problem humans have caused in the first place! Where did the feral cats come from? Dumped/abandoned domestic cats, that's where!
(02-23-2016, 03:16 AM)Tobi Wrote: Another heartless 'solution' to a problem humans have caused in the first place! Where did the feral cats come from? Dumped/abandoned domestic cats, that's where!

That right! Humans created the situation of abandoned cats - and now they blame the animals and want to kill them!

Thank you for signing, Tobi.