Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who let the dove out
I understood you.  Different birds do different things.  Puffing up seems to be a normal dove thing. They are a little puffed out now, sitting side by side on their night perch. They have a favourite day spot and a favourite night spot. Both are at the top of the cage, but on opposite sides.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My birds like to sit apart from each other at times. I think they get on each other's nerves being together 24/7. Danny will go and sit on the perch on the playpen and Bailee will sit in the cage on the perch then they will switch spots. They are funny to watch!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
The doves are almost always together. At night they sit and face me when I am on the computer. I came home late last night and the lights were already out and the doves were in the same spot, but facing away from where I sit. I have never seen them like that before.
Catherine

Makes you wonder what's up with them, doesn't it. I don't know if it means something or not. I'm sure you will see if something is up with them with how you keep an eye on them.

The other night one was facing where I sit and the other was facing the other way. Tonight as usual they are both watching me.

I have no idea why they do what they do. They are both comfortable and happy looking. That is good enough for me.
They are all fluffed out and when they do that I can't tell them apart.

How do birds do that. When they fluff up they look twice their size and almost a different colour.
Catherine

Yes, they look twice their size when fluffed up. Lucy fluffed up lot at the end of her life.

Tonight Virgil has his back to me and Dora is watching me.  I can tell because Virgil is cooing. They are both fluffed up so they must do that at night because they always look bigger at night.
I don't understand them, but I am learning their habits.
Catherine

Have you read any books on Doves? I read several books on Parakeets when I first got one years ago. There is a lot of good information in those books.

Danny has started cooing when I talk to him. He is so sweet!!

Tonight they are both fluffed up facing me, but they have their heads together.  They are so sweet looking.

Usually I can recognize Virgil because he is a little bigger. Dora is missing toes on one foot so she sits lower down on the perch a lot of times. It must be easier on that foot.  Dora is a rehome, she came into the reptile centre with toes missing.

When I talk to them they act like they are listening. Definitely they are getting more tame.

They will never be like a budgie though. Budgies like Danny will be far more responsive than a dove.
Catherine

My birds won't allow me to handle them. I let them do their thing and leave them alone. Every once in awhile I will stand by their cage or playpen and talk to them. They look at me and turn their heads as if they are trying to understand. Suzy does that, too.

Your doves sound beautiful. Doves is one of my favorite kinds of birds.