Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who let the dove out
I have a special calcium/gravel mix that has algae and other things in it. I have a good seed mix and I have been giving them sprigs of millet.

I wish they would eat greens, but they don't seem interested.

This is a recent picture. Virgil is on the left and Dora on the right.
[Image: IMG_1540.JPG]

The perches you can see are natural branches. They also have a rope perch and some smooth straight manufactured ones.  I think the variety is good for their feet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Those are the kind of Dove's I see out my back window. I love the noises they make. They are very pretty.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Virgil is sitting on the edge of Dora's nest keeping her company and protecting her. It is beautiful to see the devotion. Heart

There is something very special about the gentleness of doves.
Catherine

Yes, Doves are beautiful creatures. That's so sweet he is protecting her and the nest.

It really is egg laying season!! I do hope this one hatches too.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I wish they would hatch an egg, but I am beginning to doubt that they can do it. The eggs eventually dry out and there is no sign that a chick even started to grow. Maybe they are not fertile as a couple. They are very committed to egg laying and it is sweet to see them. I am not sure they realize that there is anything after the egg laying stage.
Catherine

I hope the egg will hatch. I wonder if they would know about hatching by instinct. I don't really know, though.

The egg looks dry and Dora has stopped sitting on it. I think her eggs are not fertile. She is faithful in sitting on it and Virgil is good about keeping the egg warm while she eats. So far none of the eggs has  developed anything. When they dry out there is no sign of a chick inside.
They keep trying and they seem to be so happy so maybe that is enough for them.
Catherine

Yeah, some birds and animals go through routines and that makes them happy.

I don't know why they eggs don't hatch. I suppose Virgil could be a female. I know Dora s female because she lays eggs.
Virgil has never laid an egg. Maybe he is just not getting around to breeding her. I haven't seen them breed even once.

Maybe in the warmer weather they will get it right.
Catherine