Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals getting high
Apparently it is more common than I thought.
Animal ingest things that intoxicate them.
It seems to be a wide range of species all around the world.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I have seen birds drunk on fermented fruit. They get very noisy and hyperactive.

I have heard of elephants getting into fermented fruit.

Maybe the phrase "Drunk as a Skunk" actually means something. Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I knew about catnip but not about the hallucinogens and poppies that animals eat. It does make sense though as these things are available to them where things are growing in fields and other places. Seems that all animals including humans change when their brain chemistry is altered.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It's not just humans. One of my fiances friends would have to watch their cat around vodka any kind. If they left a glass unattended for to long the cat would find it and start drinking away. On several occasions they found the cat drunk cause they had left a glass out. I witnessed it once and while it's not good for the cat and they of course ran the cat off when they caught him, it was still funny to watch the cat stumble away.
It seems most creatures will take a nip of something stronger than water if they can get it.  
I think they all get excited and noisy or they get sleepy. 

Now I wonder if earthworms get at dropped fermented fruit on the ground. If so, how would you know if an earthworm is drunk.

What about bees and wasps, they must sometimes come across fermented fruit and nectar. How would an intoxicated wasp fly?
Catherine

Don't know if I've ever seen a drunk earthworm. lol. Maybe that's why they lay on the sidewalks after the rain.

That is a good point about the earthworms out on the sidewalk after a rain. I usually run around and rescue the ones who have washed out onto the road or some other dangerous spot.
Catherine

That's good of you to rescue them. I never see them here but have seen them out on the side walks many years ago when I lived in a different area.

We get heavy rains and the worms have to come up so that they don't drown. If they are stuck out on an open sidewalk when the sun comes out they will dehydrate and die. Sometimes if they are just a little dry they can be saved with water.
Every earthworm we save also saves the future generations from the one we saved. We need the earthworms for the health of the soil so it is worth it.
Catherine

Yes, it is worth it and they are worth it! Every being matters on this earth.

I have a special liking for earth worms. They keep my garden healthy. I have sat and watched them in the garden late at night. I used to have an indoor earthworm composter. They are more interesting than I expected. They like some foods better than others. They ate the sweet fruit peels before they ate the potato peels.
Catherine