Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals getting high
I also rescue them, Catherine, so understand why you do. And Ruth, you are so right. Every being matters on this Earth. So true.
I can't walk past and see any creature struggling, which, with a little help would do better.
But one day I rescued a big earthworm from the road, and put it safely in the moist earth by the grassy verge. I watched, and the little blighter wriggled out again, and then stopped in the road. I explained to it that it would get squashed by a truck that way! I put it back again, and the same happened.
I think that was a suicidal worm!
So I got hold of it and launched it into a wide flying arc, right over the hedge! lol
I hope it was OK landing in the field. That must have been the most exciting flying experience it had ever had. I was determined to get it off the road.
A flying earthworm! That is something you don't see everyday. Smiley4

I have never had an earthworm try and crawl back into danger. I am glad you made sure he was safe.

Rescuing earthworms is a little thing we can do that can have big impact. Earthworms are a basic species that keep the soil healthy and fertile for growing things and they are food for a lot of birds. If they were lost or their numbers became too low there would be consequences. The health of the whole system would be poorer. It at least gives me a sense that I can help. It is also an ecology project that I can do in the city.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine