Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vandals kill 6,000 honey bees
This is so sad. Bee keepers at a nature reserve have been looking after a hive of bees. The hive was built to last the winter, properly insulated to keep the bees safe and warm.  The vandals removed the lid and all the bees froze to death.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is such a senseless loss of bee lives. Even if bees where not so critically endangered it would still be sad. Given how desperate the bee situation is, this is more a crime against nature itself. Harming bees puts the well being of the planet at risk. They are one of the keystone animals. So much depends on bees and their work of pollination.

My heart goes out to the beekeeper who came across the tragedy. No one should ever have to face something like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is really horrible. I can't understand what motivates these people to destroy the bees habitat!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It is such a stupid thing to do, but it is also a terrible thing.  Right now killing a pollinator is a serious thing.
I hope they catch the persons who did this, but I can't imagine how they will.

A dead bee is something that should bring us to tears.
Catherine

It is just so mindless and senseless. Who would want to do that? What's the kick in hurting bees?? Maybe the person/people who did this are against bees because they think they are dangerous (stings etc) But whoever it is needs more education about bees. They will not sting for no good reason -unlike wasps, as a bee dies when it stings, and they know that.
Worse, they uncovered the bees in the winter when they were sleeping and the cold killed them. It was a cowardly act.

I find wasps are no trouble if you act sensibly around them. I stay calm and if the wasp wants a taste of my juice or food, I give it a tiny taste. One drop of juice poured out is all the wasp wanted. It drinks and then leaves me alone. Wasps get thirsty just like the rest of us.
People get hurt when they panic and flail their arms around at the wasp. The wasp feels threatened and reacts to protect itself.
Catherine

That is so true. Although wasps are more 'warrior-like' than bees, if we keep calm and friendly around them, they have little excuse to sting! You are right....sometimes they just want a drop of juice.

It was mean and cruel of the vandals to open the hives in winter. Poor bees.
The bees never stood a chance.  It was too cold for them to do anything. They were sleeping safely in their hive.

I hope they catch the people who did this. If not I hope that the bees out there somehow know.
I wonder what they are thinking now. They can't be proud of killing that many bees. What could a person possibly do to atone for such an act.
It is an act that should be atoned for.
Catherine