Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Mean" Dog responds to love
Look at her face....what a depth there is in her. I am so glad someone with understanding managed to reach through to her.

I have noticed that many Shelters deem certain dogs "unadoptable" because of traits they show when under extreme stress, or in the company of complete strangers, numerous other barking dogs, and in a 'jail' environment. These dogs have history of abuse or neglect, or have been suddenly abandoned, and with all that piled on top of them, they are meant to behave like Angels, in order not to be euthanised.

I have watched a few SPCA shows, where certain "aggressive" dogs have been euthanised. Sometimes it's only because they show "resource guarding" behaviour (food aggression) I am sure that goes on in the UK as well as the US. Those dogs immediately are given a death sentence.

Many shelters are overwhelmed, have to move dogs through quickly, in order to make room for newcomers, and there are criteria to meet for the dogs seeking adoption and the people who wish to adopt them. Also the staff cannot find time or inclination(?) to treat the so-called aggressive dogs with more thought-out patient approaches.
And people who adopt always want sweet perfect dogs.

In a stress environment -is there really such a thing I wonder? Some may be OK with the tests they are given....but some very edgy.
I know for a fact that Misty would not allow a stranger to mess with her food, or another dog invading when she was eating. Her chastisement would have been fair in her eyes, and not terrible, but rather wolf-like. (watch wolves eating!)
And yet she was the sweetest nature in other respects.

It makes me sad to know that many many dogs are given death-sentences for less than that.

Thank goodness someone had the patience to try to reach through to this sweet dog.

Messages In This Thread
"Mean" Dog responds to love - by Catherine - 03-07-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by LPC - 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by Tobi - 03-08-2016, 05:07 AM