Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Mean" Dog responds to love
(03-08-2016, 01:23 PM)Catherine Wrote: We need more people like that who see the good in a frightened animal.
Yes we do. I suppose the Shelter staff do not have the time. But even an ordinary person can sometimes win over a dog who was aggressive to start with, so long as they understand them and are willing to put the time and patience in.
A good example is a little terrier who lives near me. When I first met her she was intent on ripping me to shreds! Gradually, over time, I have managed to win her confidence, and yesterday she greeted me with a lick and a genuine wag. I was absolutely never scared of her, and knew a friendship/peace could gradually be drawn out of her.
Initially, she was being held very tightly on the lead by her caretaker, whenever we met. I asked the woman to let her off the lead -that I would take full responsibility.
I then progressed to giving her no attention (she bit my boots! haha! but soon began to notice she got no response from me.)
I then treated her whenever she relaxed even slightly. I held my hand down with a tiny goodie in it. She took that gently. All the time I gave her no eye contact. I was close to her physically but showing her no 'crowding' and no attention except for the little treats. My body posture was relaxed.
Gradually she tolerated my presence, but if our eyes met -she growled! I turned my body away, but didn't move away from her. That shows her validation, and respect, but no fear.
If we were out, with all the dogs, I asked her caretaker to allow her to come with us, and not shut her in the house alone, and to let her off the lead (on their property) So she wouldn't feel alienated.
...Then yesterday she came up to me of her own accord with a wag and a kind lick. I clapped my hands and told her she was a good girl, and that I appreciated her gesture very much. She even looked me in the eyes.
This took some weeks, but was worth doing.
This is what those Shelter dogs need!

Messages In This Thread
"Mean" Dog responds to love - by Catherine - 03-07-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by LPC - 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by Tobi - 03-09-2016, 04:28 AM