Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Mean" Dog responds to love
You succeeded in winning her over! Congratulations.

That took a while didn't it. You showed great patience and persistence and you took a chance with her, but it paid off.
Am I right that showing no fear was the first important step? I can understand having treats, but I never thought about not making eye contact.

Years ago a senior couple I looked after had a dog given to them. He had bitten all the neighbours when they tried to touch him and they called to warn me.  
I brought a pocket full of very tasty treats and when I came in I left my boots and coat on. When he ran at me to attack, I stood my ground and didn't move. He got two feet from me without me reacting and he suddenly turned and dove under the table to hide. He wasn't aggressive, he was frightened. I then calmly put my coat and boots away and used the treats to coax him out. I sat on the floor by the table talking to him and offering him treats. When he finally came out he was my friend forever.

Other people had pushed themselves on him and he bit out of fear. The treats helped and I let him touch me before I touched him.

I think many shelters are trying to work with dogs to help them. Our local shelter has a foster parent system. They can send a dog to a foster home and keep it out of the shelter environment. Some dogs just don't cope with being in a cage like that.
I wouldn't like it either.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
"Mean" Dog responds to love - by Catherine - 03-07-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by LPC - 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: "Mean" Dog responds to love - by Catherine - 03-09-2016, 03:40 PM