Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaza Zoo animals to be sold
We have posted about the plight of the animals at Gaza zoo. So many of them have died because of the war situation. They couldn't get food and couldn't be cared for. Some were actually hurt in the conflict. Smiley19

Finally the owner of the zoo is selling them so they can be cared for somewhere else.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ma...p-for-sale

I am relieved that their suffering will be over, but I wish this had been done before so many of the animals died.

Animal do not belong in a war zone. Caged animals are even more vulnerable. They have no way to escape.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am not a fan of zoos, but am even less keen about privately owned ones. Wild animals kept in cages all their lives, just to make money for the private "owner"....

In the circumstances, it is all for the best that the remaining animals are being sold off. May their lives improve from now on!
Well....it's good that the animals have a way out of Gaza! But let's all hope and pray they get to decent SANCTUARIES and no more zoos, or private ownership!
These private zoos in dangerous places are no place for an animal.  Private zoos themselves are a problem. There is no one to supervise them and there are no standards of animal care.

I am just relieved that the few remaining Gaza animals will be free from the suffering they have endured these last months.
Catherine

Of course, there are well-managed zoos, which can do more good than harm, giving sanctuary to endangered species, and providing excellent living for the animals and understanding of their needs. These are nothing like the zoos I remember as a child, and which used to upset me even then when I didn't think about such things. The smell used to upset me. It was an unhealthy stressed smell. Now I recognise that as the smell of organ failure and general bad condition.

And there were many animals pacing, swaying and showing other signs of mental and emotional torture. Lions and tigers with chips and burgers thrown to them....Hippopotamus with their mouths open constantly to receive huge loaves of white bread which the public used to delight in throwing into their mouths all day long. Monkeys screaming and throwing things at the people....monkeys trying to hide......

I have heard good reports about the Toronto zoo. In good hands, zoos are very different now.
Places like Toronto Zoo are registered  with a larger association that monitors things. They are part of conservation programs and endangered species programs.

Toronto Zoo has bred Black Footed Ferrets for release back into the Canadian Prairies. The program has been successful.
The grandson of one of our orangutans now lives back in the wild in his native area. There are other species we are involved in and are part of a wider species survival plan. Certainly we will raise orphaned polar bears. All three of our bears are orphans. Maybe some day their offspring or grand children can live in the wild, even if it is a bear sanctuary.

Right now Toronto Zoo is working to save the Vancouver Island Marmots. They are critically endangered in the wild. Whole colonies have died out, probably because of logging. The Zoo has had births and I believe some have been returned to the wild.

Calgary Zoo has played a major part in saving the whooping crane.

Down in California zoos have worked to save the condor. There are many more in the wild now because of their efforts.

The  public area of the zoo is just a part of the facility. There are more building and activities than the public ever sees. The marmots are not even on display, I doubt they ever will be.

It is small private facilities like Gaza zoo that can't keep the animals safe and fed in an emergency.

Calgary Zoo was completely flooded and they saved their animals. They evacuated many animals. Keepers stayed with the ones they couldn't move and looked after them even thought they had to swim and use boats to get around.
All of down town Calgary was flooded so it was a serious situation, but the zoo kept its animals safe.
Catherine

The roadside "zoos" can be horrendous. I have seen really sad photos of animals who were dying. I'm so glad there are places that have good zoos for the animals and really glad for the sanctuarys, too.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Those roadside zoos are not really zoos. They are just someone who has captured or bought some animals and is now making money displaying them.
Catherine

I know but some call them zoos.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
There is no law to protect the word zoo.  You can't call just anywhere a hospital and I think the word school is protected.
At least it should be.

The only way to distinguish real zoos from roadside displays is their lack of accreditation.  Real zoos are affiliated with a gorening body and have strict rules they must follow.
Catherine