Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet sitter missing..dogs alone in the house
When the dog owners arrived to pick up their pets there was no sign of the sitter.
The police were called and checked that the dogs were there, but wouldn't let people take them.
They waited outside all night worrying about their dogs.
The sitter was found by a police officer the next morning. The dogs are home safe.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is a scary world out there for people who use pet sitters.  How awful to be there and see your dog, but not be allowed to take him home. What would have happened if the sitter was not found?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-10-2016, 03:07 PM)Catherine Wrote: What would have happened if the sitter was not found?
That was the first question that came into my head. I'm not sure that police in America have the right to break down a door and enter a house if there is no evidence (at that time) of a crime having been committed and the animals are not in imminent risk of death. It was, in a way, a stroke of good luck that the man had been arrested, so that the policeman was able to locate him.

Do we know whether this man told the police that there were dogs locked up in his house, after he had been arrested? Or did he just forget about the dogs after his arrest? At least he finally gave permission for the police to enter his property - or was it under threat of a further prosecution for animal neglect if he didn't give permission to enter? Perhaps we will never know.
What I can't understand is why the people were not just allowed to take their dogs? If 'ownership' could be proved (via microchip -if the dogs were chipped) there should have been no waiting outside all night. Another example of 'red tape' gone wrong?
Thank goodness the sitter was found, or it could have been far worse.

Yes it is difficult to find the right pet sitter. And many working people are reliant on them. But I suppose the sitter could fabricate references sometimes, and may not be a squeaky-clean person! That is worrying.
I wonder if the guy mentioned the dogs when he was arrested. Of course he might not have been given the chance. If he was pet sitting, why was he out where he could be arrested. If I paid someone to be with my dog because he is afraid to be alone, I expect the person to be with the dog.

It does sound like red tape gone wrong. I am sure the people could prove ownership. Who doesn't have dozens of pictures on a cell phone and Facebook pages with pictures. One person claiming the guy was a pet sitter might not carry enough weight, but there were two people. They could prove where they lived and could leave information with the police. It was unfair to the dogs to leave them alone like that. They would have been scared.

When I think of how Luna Bunny's mom interviewed me before she considered bringing him over, even though I was recommended by our local pet store, I commend her for her caution. She handled all of my animals and watched me handle them. She wanted to be sure he would be looked after properly.

You can't be too careful when it comes to pet care.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine