Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoarder or Healer?
Bruce van Bramer ran an animal hospice from his own home, to care for sick, old, disfigured or terminally-ill dogs and cats. The animals were usually sent to him from Shelters, where they were considered unadoptable, and would have been euthanised.

He gave everything to care for these dogs and cats, and had veterinary support, helpers, and donations of food and money. A man of great heart and compassion, in my opinion.

Yet one day without warning, the SPCA came and seized all the animals, as they had received a report that Bruce was an animal hoarder. His case went to court.

Hoarder or Healer? (50 minute documentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFsXRgWKG4
It is so fortunate that they had been filming the shelter. It clearly showed that the animals were well cared for.
Without that he would have had no chance of getting them back.

There are puppy mills and dog fighting rings all over. There are factory farms that regularly abuse animals.
Why would they come with guns and raid a caring shelter?

Worse, the way they removed the animals was abusive.

How sad that they killed so many. Why wouldn't they have looked at his medical records?
It was a horrible abuse of power.

They did all this because of a tip from an unknown person. It is like the Salem witch hunt all over again.

I feel for his losses and I am glad he got the animals back. Without the film maker he would probably be in jail.

Sometimes I question the SPCA and groups like them. They like their power and being able to do what they want. They lack common sense and compassion.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It was a completely botched operation in my opinion. The SPCA do some very good work, but in this instance (and in how many others?) they swooped in with armed police as back-up, without doing sufficient research first, or at least, sending an inspector to speak to Bruce! Depending on results of that meeting, they could have done a dawn raid the very next day. If he had been a hoarder, with no proper care for those cats and dogs, it would have taken him a lot longer than that to organise an evacuation and disappear!
A botched operation which caused a lot of distress, both to him and his helpers, and especially, to the animals he was caring for.
Armed police back-up?! All on the say-so of an anonymous tip-off? Talk about a police state! All that, for one poor man, caring for some unwanted animals?

He wasn't some dangerous terrorist, with a stash of explosives. So why the armed police? "America, land of the free" - really?

Blessings to him for caring for those poor animals!
Quote:Armed police back-up?! All on the say-so of an anonymous tip-off? Talk about a police state! All that, for one poor man, caring for some unwanted animals?

One lesson to be learned from this: if you take in damaged, ill or very old animals, document where they came from and what condition they were in when they arrived. 

I don't have that many animals, but I have a small number of damaged reptiles. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I had done the damage  or caused the neglect. Henry was paralyzed  when I took him in. Jake was a Krinkle Snake when I first met him.

This heavy handed action shows that anyone who cares for rescue animals is vulnerable.

They didn't even try to assess what Bruce was doing. They didn't look at his records. The armed police back-up is really ridiculous. Would they have really shot him?

Sadly yes they would have and the animals as well. It is fortunate that Bruce is okay and got back most of his animals.
They should be thanking him for taking in the animals that nobody wants.
Catherine

(03-12-2016, 05:26 AM)LPC Wrote: Armed police back-up?! All on the say-so of an anonymous tip-off? Talk about a police state! All that, for one poor man, caring for some unwanted animals?

He wasn't some dangerous terrorist, with a stash of explosives. So why the armed police? "America, land of the free" - really?

Blessings to him for caring for those poor animals!

We do have a police state here in the USA.  The police are all over and arrest people for everything you can think of.  They stopped me for no good reason once.

That poor man and his animals, what a shame that is.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I do think the police are out of control. They forget that we pay their salaries and they are our servants.  Our police motto is "serve and protect".  I don't feel safer when the police with guns show up.
Catherine