Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suzy got sick
I am glad Suzy seems her old self now! Some of them can't handle fatty food, even the smallest amount. Doughnuts are gorgeous, and you'd think a tiny piece wouldn't bother her, but some are more sensitive I suppose.

My Misty used to get a tummy upset sometimes. Usually because of some 'treat' someone had slipped her when my back was turned! Once it was Custard Cream biscuits...another time it was pieces of corn (which wouldn't digest)....another time it was chocolate ....That was a 'all hands on deck' situation, and a bit of cleaning (dog first, then whatever objects had been in the way!) What I usually did was give her water only for 24 hours, and when she seemed slightly better, water with a bit of honey dissolved in it. Then the next morning I would give her plain boiled rice, a small amount at a time, for a while, then boiled chicken or steamed white fish with the rice for dinner. That always solved the problem. By the following day she was still on 'bland food' even though she was well, but later I would mix some dog food in with it.

Brown rice sounds like a good idea. Chicken breast should be good too, or a piece of light non-oily fish, like Haddock or Cod. Some dogs are very sensitive for Pancreatitis, but hopefully, not Suzy. Persistent vomiting is usually a sign and pain in the gut. The vet is required if that happens, and they will give IV fluids and fast the dog a while, to allow the pancreas to heal.

(By the way, you most likely know all that already....but I posted it in case it might be helpful for visitors to the site.)

I hope Suzy's tummy upset is in the past now. They all get it -sooner or later!
Thank you all for your concern. She is doing fine now. I think she had too much to eat the other day. I had given her some potatoes, too, that day and I think maybe too much of them and it filled her up too much. I am really not sure what made her sick but so glad she is better now.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am glad to hear Suzy is better.

Thank-you Tobi for posting about feeding a dog after it has been sick.  That is a bit like what I do if I eat something that I turn out to have problem with. Interesting that the procedure for settling a stomach is the same for people and dogs.

If one of my snakes has a problem I feed smaller food for the next few feeds.

Guinea pigs just keep on eating no matter what.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-21-2016, 11:09 AM)Catherine Wrote: Guinea pigs just keep on eating no matter what.

LOL! Smiley4  I love this. Bless their hearts! Greedy little piggies!
Guinea pigs live to eat.

The rest of us have to be more careful and eat sensibly and things like that.
Catherine

Suzy loves food so much. I am being more careful to watch what I give her besides her excellent dog food. I am going to start her back on her dog food tomorrow. I get her grain free dog food and she loves this particular brand I got her.

I have noticed that there are some excellent brands of dog food out there. I would think that grain free is a good idea. Dogs would not normally eat grains. I would think a steady diet of grain might account for some of the health issues we see.

It will be good to have Suzy back on her regular food. You will be sure she is well when she starts eating normally.
Catherine

She hasn't vomited since the other day and has had a normal bowel movement so I will feed her her regular dog food today.

It sounds like her system is getting back to normal.  Once she eats regular food you will be sure she is fine.

I am glad things turned out alright for Suzy. I know she is your baby and you worry about her.
Catherine

Thank you for your concern Catherine. Suzy had her regular dog food last night and we took a little walk and she did her normal business. I don't go very far when it's dark outside. I'm going to take her to the park one of these days.