Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless youth with pets less depressed
A study was done comparing homeless youth with pets, to homeless youth without pets.
The youth with pets are less depressed and they exhibit less self destructive behaviors such as drugs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3497338

This is something pet owners know already.  Our pets keep us healthy in mind and body. The meet out needs for love and acceptance and they give us something to care for other than ourselves.

For someone who is homeless the pet is often the only one doing that.

I hope the people who run youth programs and youth shelters pay attention to this. If you want to help homeless youth you need to reach them through their pets.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a very good program. Pets do amazing things for people's well being. I was very lonely before I got Suzy. I had the birds but they have each other and didn't pay a lot of attention to me. Suzy kisses me every chance she gets. She snuggles with me a lot, too. We are good for each other.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Pets make us feel special and loved. Homeless youth have even more need than anyone else. Their pets are the only thing that is keeping them going. People will talk to a homeless person who has a dog. Without the dog, we tend not to see them.
I am glad that they are recognizing how important the pets are.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine