Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old pets, is it time to let go.
I came across a beautiful article written by someone with a beautiful old cat. He is really aging and did have a bad health scare. She had to ask herself if it was time to let go. Was her desire to keep her cat with her no longer a kindness. It is beautiful to hear how she reflected on this and did the best she could.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

All of us have to face this day if our pets live to be old. I have Rosebert the guinea pig who is seriously aging. He doesn't really walk any more. He needs to lie near the food dish. I make sure he has clean blankets under him. Martha the new female called for me and I wonder if she wanted me to check on Rosebert. I know time is short and I am hoping he goes quietly with his family around him. I also know I might need to make a decision if life seems too much for him. The other piggies know he is failing and they are being very attentive. Right now that is all I can do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm happy for them that Juan is doing better, We all know how an aging pet makes us feel, I hope your Rosebert goes as you wish when his time comes.
Thank-you. I am watching Rosebert carefully and he has his herd around him and that is a comfort. He was born at my place and I would rather he didn't have to leave it. Guinea pigs seem to go quickly and suddenly when they reach this point. Their hearts give out. Robbie is being so sweet and now so is Martha. 

I was glad for her that Juan made it.
Catherine

A very well written article. Making "that awful decision" is incredibly hard. I'm so glad that the cat in the article has pulled through well.

Blessings to dear Rosebert! It is so good that he is surrounded by the rest of his clan and supported by them. May his passing, when his time comes, be calm and without pain.
Rosebert has such a special family caring for him. I know how hard it is when they get old and are failing and there's a decision to be made.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Old age isn't a disease as such. Many old people, old animals, are still getting a lot out of life. To healthy younger onlookers, that might not look much. But with old age there are different viewpoints. For humans, sitting watching TV or staring out of the window, waiting for dinner, then waiting for bed time, or for an animal, not being able to go far from the food bowl, or sleeping the morning away or even sleeping more.....all those things may look negative but aren't -necessarily so long as there is no pain or discomfort.
Old age can bring a quietness, a completely different way of living from when they were young.

But what we should be very careful to be sure of is if there IS any disease, or pain etc. And get them treatment which improves their lives...and if the medicine doesn't work, and they are not up to it any more, then let them leave their bodies.

That is easier for someone who is very 'in tune' with an animal and who has the time to give it every care, 24/7, and let its life draw gently and gradually to a close (when euthanasia might still be the kindest solution towards the very end). For busy working people, especially people with families who demand their attention,  this isn't so easy. In those circumstances an animal could be suffering or be very depressed, and they don't know. But even for people who do watch over their aging animals, it can sometimes still be hard to see when they have had enough.

And some of them have never had enough, and want to hang on! Their eyes say they only want to feel better so they can get on with life...that's a hard one.

We are very lucky indeed to have the option of euthanasia with an animal, but we should use that option with love and wisdom. But there doesn't always have to be anything wrong with being old.

When my end comes, it would be nice if there was a euthanasia option,. but of course, there isn't for humans.
I agree with you about old age. It isn't a disease to slow down and be less able. It is okay to live life at a much slower pace.  Rosebert mostly rests and the others look after him. He usually sleeps by the food now so it is easier to get a snack. I make sure the veggies are placed where he can reach them without effort. The other piggies don't mind. They seem to recognize his need.

Rosebert eats well and sleeps comfortably. He is slowing down, but he is okay. His hips are stiff, but he doesn't walk much. He has a soft flannel blanket under him to make it more comfortable and warmer.

I am really watching him for signs that he is in pain or that life is too much for him.

Usually about the time I decide that it is time to do something the animal goes naturally.

If a person isn't sure they could take the pet to the vet to be assessed. There are pain killers for pets and things that can help.

For people there are many things that can help. I know many people talk about wanting to go at a certain point. I have a feeling that I will fight for every second of life that I can get. In Canada we are working with the assisted death issue. There have been cases, legal and illegal. Usually it is for something like Lou Gering's disease. I can't fault someone who makes that choice I just don't want to have it turn into a way for the children to inherit early.

My friends took the 20 year old cat in for a check up and when the vet heard the age she was surprized, but happy that they didn't come in just to get rid of an old cat. Many people do not want the trouble of an old pet or an old relative either.
Catherine

Sounds like Rosebert is holding his own. I am the same way as you, when I start thinking about putting a pet to sleep they usually pass. I had a real cool angora hamster that was a good buddy of mine. He got cancer and was on medicine and then his lungs started filling up with fluid and he passed. I loved little Rocky Raccoon. I don't get hamsters any more because they don't live very long lives and it hurts so bad when they pass. I've had 3 of my own and growing up my family had many of them.

Hamsters are wonderful, but their lives are brief. It makes it hard to enjoy them. You know they will not be with you for long.

Usually we are so in tune with our pets we know when the end is coming. I have been planning to call a vet because it is time and then the pet is gone before I can do it. I planned to take Earl in to the vet, but he died while I was at work. He was with Caitrin and in his own space so it is better it happened that way, but I didn't think it was fair to let him go on any longer.
Pigbert died on a Sunday with me holding him. I had been thinking of calling a vet on Monday morning.

Rosebert is having a good day today. He seems a bit better. I know that his time is still short, but he is not ready to go just yet.
He is still enjoying his meals and his family. He just has trouble walking. He is stiff in the hips and weaker, but he takes it slow. He is an old man so he should take it slow.
Catherine

I've never had ginnae pigs (I don't know how to spell it) but they sound something like hamsters. They all have their different personalities. You sure have lost a lot of pets and I have, too. I tend to get depressed when their time is near. I was very depressed when Lucy was sick. She hung in there for a long time.

I'm glad Rosebert is having a good day. That's great he has his family with him. How old is he?