Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old pets, is it time to let go.
Rosebert is almost seven. He was born at my place to a rescue female. His whole life has been with his piggie family at my place. Guinea pigs live around six years so he is very old.

They are bigger than hamsters and they are very gentle creatures. They like to live in herds and they eat continually, hay, grains, veggies and some fruits. They are short and chubby with no tail and no neck.  Each piggie has its own personality. Rosebert has always been very quiet. His a big fellow, but he is passive and easy going.  His smaller brother, Norbert was scared of a new food and Rosebert picked up a piece and placed it in front of Norbert before he took a piece himself. I think that gesture really tells you what Rosebert is like. He is kind to his fellow piggies and right now they are being kind back. 

I hope I have more time with him, but I know it will not be a lot of time. 

I often take in older, damaged pets so I have come to accept that losing them is the price I pay for giving them a gentle loving end to their lives.  I find it easier to always accept that with some animals they have come "home" to die. It is the only thing I can give them sometimes.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine