Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
See how Bailee has filled out
I have found wild injured birds before too. I took them to the wildlife center a few towns away from me. When they are injured I think they know we are trying to help them by handling them.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Oh boy, Danny and Bailee were doing the wild thing tonight. I don't have a nest box. I don't really want to raise babies. Well, we will see what happens next. Smile

It is spring and all the birds are thinking about nesting. It is a lot of work to raise baby birds. I can see why you would rather not have eggs right now.  
If you don't have a nest box would they try to sit on eggs?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't know. Lucy had one egg a few years ago and she never sat on it. Bailee is a young bird and she may want to care for babies. I'll see what happens. I wonder how long it takes the birds to lay eggs after fertilization. I really don't have a big enough cage for a lot of birds. I've been used to having just 2 birds at a time. There are financial constraints on how many I can raise.

I don't know much about bird gestation. I would think that without a suitable nest a bird would not get serious about sitting on eggs.  It would be a lot of work to raise babies. Hopefully you don't have to deal with it.
Catherine

(04-16-2016, 12:49 PM)Ruth Wrote: Oh boy, Danny and Bailee were doing the wild thing tonight.  I don't have a nest box.  I don't really want to raise babies.  Well, we will see what happens next.  Smile

Haha...Nature has her own ideas about that! Smiley4  Yes it's a great responsibility to raise the babies. If you see what happens next, what is meant to be, will happen. The eggs may or may not develop or incubate properly....or there might be the flutter of tiny wings! I think you will have to 'go with the flow' and see where this takes you.....
(04-17-2016, 05:40 PM)Catherine Wrote: I don't know much about bird gestation. I would think that without a suitable nest a bird would not get serious about sitting on eggs.  It would be a lot of work to raise babies. Hopefully you don't have to deal with it.

Lucy laid an egg a few years ago and she didn't have a nest box.  She wouldn't sit on the egg so I removed it.  I put it with her in the freezer.

(04-19-2016, 02:50 AM)Tobi Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 12:49 PM)Ruth Wrote: Oh boy, Danny and Bailee were doing the wild thing tonight.  I don't have a nest box.  I don't really want to raise babies.  Well, we will see what happens next.  Smile

Haha...Nature has her own ideas about that! Smiley4  Yes it's a great responsibility to raise the babies. If you see what happens next, what is meant to be, will happen. The eggs may or may not develop or incubate properly....or there might be the flutter of tiny wings! I think you will have to 'go with the flow' and see where this takes you.....

Yes, I'll see what happens next.  It scares me to think of Bailee possibly getting egg bound.  I sure hope that does not happen.

There is always that worry when you have pets. I worry about my snakes who are slow to lay their eggs. I know it is only April, but I want to get it over with so I can stop worrying.

I think most birds have no trouble laying eggs.  I hope Bailee is okay. No doubt she will produce eggs since you have the two of them.
Catherine

I looked up parakeet gestation on google and it only takes a few days for them to start laying eggs and then they hatch in about 21 days or a little less. I haven't seen any eggs yet. I think Bailee may be too young to lay them. I don't think she is even a year old yet and that is how old they need to be to have eggs. Danny is a horny little bird just waiting for the opportunity to do the wild thing with Bailee. She is setting him in his place at times, too. LOL.