Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned babies
Bless you and your parents Libby, it seems you're doing it right.
This weekend I think it will be time to start moving them to the big cage in preparation for when they start to come out of the nest. We are going to add some towels to cool the nest down tonight because their feathers are really starting to come in and keep them warm. It's crazy how fast they are growing.
It must feel like you can actually see them growing. They will look like fluffy little chicks before long.
It is a good sign that you have to set them up in a cage. Hopefully they will not need such frequent feeding for much longer.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEzo7odkeKY/

We've been feeding them every 2 hours and tonight I noticed that the older one can actually go a little longer so tomorrow I think we can up it to feeding every 3 hours. Which will be nice. You don't realize how frequent every 2 hours is until you have to do something every 2 hours. That first day was crazy with every hour and a half.
They are looking good. Their feathers are really coming in. They are going to look like proper little birds in no time.

My family once raised a litter of kittens from the first day. Mom required emergency surgery and was in no shape to be with the kittens. There were six of them and they needed  feeding every two hours. It seems to go on forever, but soon you will be able to feed more food at a time, but less often.

You have already made great progress with them.

Wait until you need to teach them to fly. That should be quite an experience.
Catherine

Our babies are getting so big. At about 25 days they are pretty much over the nest. Weaning has started and they want no part in it. They don't understand why we can't just keep feeding them their formula.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFHuyXREeDs/...adog&hl=en
They are so cute now. Heart

They look good. They have really grown into proper little birds. Good luck weaning them though. Mother birds have quite a time getting their babies to eat. Teaching them to fly should be fun as well.

Have you figured out what kind of birds they are?
Catherine

They are actually really good flyers. One decided to play hide and seek a couple nights ago and we decided it was not a good idea to feed them out side of the cage anymore. We found him on top of the TV after a couple minutes of looking but it was scary at first.
They are house finches. We think they are both boys. Something about girls have spots on their chest but the boys look more like stripes and that's what they both have. The red coloring comes from the food they eat so the more red food the redder they become. As of right now they aren't eating any red food so they are still the brown. I've had some luck getting them to eat seeds from the syringe still not fruit or veggies but occasional seeds are better than none. I stick the syringe in their food dish between feeding them the formula to get some seeds stuck to it and to show them where I'm getting the seeds from and them actually eat the seeds off before begging for formula so a step in the right direction if nothing else.
I have a video I want to post but it's turning out blurry so I might upload it somewhere else and see. But they've started jumping on each others backs and it's so funny to watch. I call it sibling surfing. They will both do it to each other. It's hilarious.
I love the little house finches.  They will grow up to be beautiful birds.

It sounds like they are a handful to care for and a lot of fun. You must need to watch carefully for changes in what they can do.  I didn't know their colour is from their food. They do eat red berries here so that would explain it.

No bird or any other animal wants to give up being spoon fed. I am sure if you let them they would be happy to be fed for the rest of their lives.

They can fly already? I didn't think they could learn so fast.
Catherine