Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada geese, the best mothers ever
Purrs for the Canada Geese and hisses for those that hurt them. A mother goose will die rather than leave her nest. Attacking a female on her nest is a truly cowardly and cruel act. Every spring there are sad stories of geese who are attackes. Some have happy outcomes and some do not.

This brave female refused to leave a burning nest, a fire that was deliberately set.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...tHj8NqQeKg

I am sure this was no accident
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...ivgODqY_QA

This is a very sad story and I hope they catch the guy. He deserves anything we can do to him.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...c0f07k6nxA
What broke my heart was the fact that even fatally injured the mother still tried to crawl back onto her eggs to protect them.

Canada Geese are such fine animals. Why do people attack them so savagely?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I didn't look at your links it is too sad, cruelty towards any living thing is unforgivable, there should be harsher penalties. I've heard that some think Canada geese are a nuisance.
It is very cruel mean and unnecessary to hurt them like that. Yes they are considered 'pests' by some, but I'm not sure why. They can be quite fierce if they need to be, but who can blame them....up against humans who do these sorts of things to them?

I read a book by John Katz, about his life with a Border Collie called Devon. They went to the football field regularly for Devon to run to his heart's content, thus keeping the geese off the field, and that was very appreciated by the community.
Their 'nuisance' may only be that where they land, they poop -en-masse? I don't know. But no creature deserves cruelty like that. It is horrific.
Attacking a mother on the nest is such a cowardly act. It is also a serious crime.

Canada Geese are just part of life in Canada. They can get in the way and sometimes they are messy. It is nothing we can't live with. After all it isn't just our planet. It is their too.

Even if you hate geese, that is no excuse for an act of animal cruelty.
Catherine

Absolutely. Canada gets geese -we get Starlings (in winter) who poop all over everything! But everyone enjoys the beautiful flight of the starlings in their hundreds (known as a "murmuration") And when we consider the terrible mess and nuisance that humans create, on such a vast scale, who can wish to harm geese, starlings, or anything else, for pooping?
There are plenty of deterrents which are harmless. My local farmer uses a 'noise-machine-bird-scarer-thingy-bob' (well that's what I call it! lol) It sounds like a 12 bore shotgun letting off two shots, although it is pyrotechnic, it causes no harm or damage and doesn't shoot anything or hurt anything. It just makes the hundreds of Starlings take off and go away.

We like to call creatures "nuisances" for one reason or another but are blind to the nuisance we humans can often be.
We are the biggest nuisance on the planet. The mother geese are usually nesting along the lake or a stream. They wouldn't be on private property. They were probably in a public park. Every year someone hurts a mother goose. I just wish we could catch the people who are so cruel.

We have starlings, but not in the numbers you do. We have a lot of pigeons. They hang around subway stations. They have a machine that imitates the cry of a hawk. It is quite startling, except for the pigeons who are not fooled and just ignore it. Some people think they are a nuisance, but I like it when a pigeon shares my lunch.

It is not the animal that is the problem, it is the attitude of the person.
Catherine

More mother goose tails.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0
We do have a lot of geese. I am glad this one has a happy ending.
Catherine