Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Border Collie walks 240 miles...
...From Cumbria England, to Aberystwyth, mid-Wales...to go home to someone he loved. This is how much they love us:

http://www.countryliving.co.uk/news/news...240-miles/
How on earth he found his way, goodness knows. There was obviously no scent-trail to follow.

Border Collies are amazing.
This is incredible. However did he find his way home?

I can understand him wanting to go home. But how did he do it?

He made good time too, 240 miles in 12 days.

Once again dogs show themselves to be more than we expect them to be.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It really is incredible, how Pero found his way home! It is quite amazing. I wonder if he followed the car's track, as he was taken to Cumbria in a vehicle. Now to us, that wouldn't be possible, but maybe to a dog there would be some residual scent laid down by the car?

But something vaguely similar happened concerning my friend Jet. He was a Border Collie too.
Jet visited us most days, and he came down to our house through the fields from the farm a half mile away. We always went out as a threesome when he visited, and sometimes I would take him in the car with Misty to one of our places.

Well one day I drove them to a place about 2-3 miles away where Jet had never been. When he was with us he always was good, and stuck to us, so I had no idea about what was about to happen...

He ran away suddenly. We searched for ages, until after the sun went down, but no trace of him, and I was so worried, as there was no scent trail for him to follow to go home.
I went back after midnight, when Misty was asleep. I couldn't find him. First thing next morning I tried again but no luck.

Later that afternoon, I saw him coming down from the farm over the fields!

He had obviously found his way home perfectly well, and probably got home that previous afternoon before we did! LOL! I had no idea how he did it, as it was a car journey into unfamiliar territory.

Still....to be on the safe side I never took him there again.
I have no idea how dogs do it. 
Jet had no trouble finding his way home. I wonder why he ran off like that. I guess he wanted to go home.

A lot of animals surprize us by their ability to find their way. Birds do it every year and they find their way winter and summer.

Remarkable are butterflies that find their way "back" to the place where a parent has been.

It is an incredible trip over many miles. He wanted to go home.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine