Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growth of human empathy towards animals
The Fort McMurray fire has shown clearly how much our human empathy has grown. There has been a lot of concern about the wellbeing of animals in Fort McMurray.  Remember Katrina and how people were forced to leave their pets behind. I think it was a turning point in our thinking. We were all shocked about the animals being left to take their chances with the storm.  Rescue groups formed to go in and find abandoned animals and save them.
Many animals were saved and we realized that we cared what happened to them.

People in Fort McMurray were not at home when they had to flee the fire. Every effort was made to rescue their pets.
We now understand as a society that it is the right thing to do.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

There are still many areas of animal welfare that are failing, but we have come a long way. Now that we have moved in this direction there is no going back. We care about animals and have empathy for them.  This can only lead to better care for all animals in the end.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I feel you are right Catherine. Generally, our empathy for animals and awareness of their needs has increased. I feel this has happened quite quickly -probably thanks to the internet.

And yes, hurricane Katrina changed a lot of things. I don't think anyone wishes to go back to the way things were once done regarding animal rescue in an emergency situation.
Emergency evacuation plans now include animals. People are encouraged to consider their animals when they prepare for emergencies. This is a tremendous shift in thinking.

Right now it is mostly our pets that receive our empathy. Someday this will extend to all animals.

I think you are right about the internet moving things faster. Through the internet people can learn about what is happening with animals.  Knowledge will change people.

We will live long enough to look back and be shocked by our past behavior as a society.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine