Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have some new "pets" lol
It sounds like your garden is the perfect place to learn how to be a rabbit. They have food and shelter and just enough frights to keep them on their toes.

I am sure mama rabbit is around and you just don't see her. The rabbits are a welcome addition. It is worth having longer grass as long  as they want to be there. The best I have is birds in my garden.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well....I had to cut the grass or things would have got silly. The rabbits hid in the wood-shed. I apologised, and there are plenty of other growing weedy-type things in my garden around the edges, so they do still have some grub. My grass cutting is never very short, and there are always daisy leaves and tiny dandelion leaves...etc close to the ground.
To make up for doing that I put a bowl of water out (there was no water for them and it is quite hot and dry at the moment.) Then I put out a carrot, some black Kale leaves (great sacrifice because they are my favourite greens!), and some cauliflower greens.
Next morning the carrot remained in all its glory except its top had been nibbled. The cauli and kale had been wolfed down, leaving the stem down the centre of the leaves only. Obviously these baby bunnies find tough things harder to eat.
I think rabbits like the leaves of carrots more than the carrots. The carrots they would take from a garden would be the very tiny soft ones. I am sure they appreciated your offerings. Water is hard to come by and kale is a treat for everyone.

It sounds like you have established boundaries with each other.
It must be fun to watch the babies grow like that.

Don't they nibble the grass down for you? The guinea pigs would keep it trimmed.
Catherine

Well....if there were about 100 of them they would probably keep my grass trimmed! But two little 'uns plus Mama isn't enough tooth-power. The problem with my grass is it isn't just grass. If I left it I would have nettles, brambles, Ash seedlings, hazel seedlings, giant Hogweed.....you name it. When it's trimmed it gives a good impression of being a 'lawn' LOL
But the good thing is my garden isn't 'twee' and perfect. Nature does her own thing in certain places, so there are things they can eat still in existence after I have done the 'lawn'.
Weirdly, they didn't seem too freaked out by the grass-cutting, and returned in an hour or two.

Today I gave them some Little Gem lettuce. I think they eat my offerings in the early morning.

I saw the mother today. She watched me for a while, then sneaked out through the wire netting at the bottom of the garden. There is a tiny hole there. So at least I know they can get out when they want to.
That little hole must be how she got in in the first place. When the time comes she will teach the location of the hole to the  babies. For now they are safe.

I am sure she appreciates your offerings. It sounds like you have a perfect "lawn" for your buns. It is full of many things so there must be lots of fresh shoots and tender leaves. I bet they even like the tree seedlings. Rabbits like to chew bark from trees.

I wonder if the mother will come to trust you. You could at least have mutual respect. That would be special.
Catherine