Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Popular pet names
Popular pets names are showing a new trend.  We are naming our pets traditionally human names.  It is not clear what that says about our relationship to our pets.
I have always used human names. I never wanted to call my pet fluffy or spot. It seems that I am not alone in this.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think I have used almost every name on the most popular list.
What about the rest of you. What kind of names do you use.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Whenever I've had any say in the naming, all our animals have had names that are proper nouns, not adjectives!
The only ones that weren't actual names were Latte and Cappuccino. They were chosen by my daughter, who was 12 at the time. It soon became obvious that those names suited them perfectly!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I prefer actual real names for an animal companion. But my dog Toby chose his own name!
When we found him wandering in a field near the music festival in 1986 and took him in, we tried umpteen names out, to try and discover what his name was (he had no collar/microchip etc) We must have gone through a long list without a reaction. Then when I said "Toby" he looked up at me.
(We worked for ages to find his human/s but never did.)

I think that is a good way to choose an animal's name. See which one they respond positively to.

Of course, over the years, mine have usually ended up with a list of nicknames too. We used to call Toby "The Piddler" for obvious reasons...and he quite liked that -knew we were having silly moments when we said that. Misty had a list of nicknames too. Jet, our friend, was called "Black Wolf"...."Jet-skis"..."Jet-lag"...."Jet-wash"....you could say any of those names and he'd turn up!
I like the proper names, but some of my pets have nicknames.  I don't know why only some of them have nicknames.
I just try out names until I find one that fits. With snakes naming can take a while.  It takes time to get to know them.

Interesting that Toby responded to the name that he wanted.

Latte and Cappuccino were perfect names for those two. They were unique so it is good that they had unique names.

I just like having real names. Calling a pet fluffy seems a little demeaning. I wouldn't like it.
Catherine

Sometimes, the old names which have so gone out of fashion nowadays for children, suit some animals.
For instance: Dora, Jenny, Victoria (Vicky), Alice, Violet, Lily, etc. Flower names used to be given to people and I think they are sweet, but now they are shunned for some reason (?) Some of the old fashioned boys' names are still quite charming, like Joe, Toby, Alfred, etc

My aunt has a cat named "Fluffee" (with a double "e" instead of a "y") I was never intrigued by that, but then....she isn't my cat! She had a sister named "Bungee".

However some more modern names like Elfin, Blue, Sky, Pixie or Star are quite nice, even though they are not human names.
I like Fluffee. There is something interesting about odd spellings. Elphin and Pixie and names like that are interesting.
I am calling Raven's last child Corvid. I have no idea about gender.

I think some of the old names are coming back. I know a baby Victoria.

I have used the name many times for hamsters with variations. (Vic, Tory, Victor, Vicky, Victoria, Tori, Vicki)
Maybe I need a Victoria snake. I could switch genders when I find out I have got it wrong again.

I have a Molly and a Jenna and of course the usual Ruby and Lily. I have used Rose in every variation imaginable.

It is not easy to keep coming up with good names.

I haven't used Alfred yet.
Catherine

I had a whole list of hamster names that were based on the idea that the male hamsters looked like little bears. So I had Cocoa Bear and Ginger Bear and Cinnamon Bear. Who could forget Snow Bear. He was my first albino. I had a Mocha Bear and  Cocoa Bean and a Blue Berry and a Snow Berry. I also had a Spirit Bear who was light coloured like the actual spirit bears.

It is harder to name snakes. Jake Krinkle Snake was the easiest. His name fits so well. Snakes live much longer so if a name is annoying or unsuitable I will be stuck with it for a long time. Maybe that is why I tend to use people names. I do have a Desert Sand(It was desert rose when I thought he was a she). I also have an Iceman(also formerly Icerose, but he is a very good father and the Iceman name stuck).

Firebird is named for the bird shaped marking on the head and the fire orange colouring.

Mostly I use people names like Sam, Pete, Mike, Earl, Caitrin, David, Jenna, Molly, Lily, Ruby and of course Jack Black the black corn snake.  Raven was an exception, but she was black and the name suited her.

I have a new generation to name and it isn't easy. I was hoping to at least guess at gender before choosing a name. I never seem to get it right.
Right now, if it lays eggs, it is a girl. Smiley4
Catherine