Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby
Dearest Ruby has gone. She was 5 years and 7 months to the day. 
After a healthy life she had a last week of issues which took her. She had only ever been to the vet as a companion to the other piggies, never with a health issue of her own. 
Last Saturday (28/5) It became obvious that her kidneys had failed. She had been a shrinking pig for a while, but that is sort of expected in older piggies, especially sows and can go on for a long time, but the kidney failure really is the beginning of the end.
She slowly faded over the week and on Sunday (5/6) at 3.30am she left us. I held her as she went, hoping that she would know just how precious she is to us.
There is only 1 of the farm rescue piggies left now and she is one of the Mums. Ruby was the last of the babies to go.
So my Naughty Teenager has grown up, grown old and gone. She was such cheeky wee thing, always with a sparkle in her beautiful red eyes and a kiss or nibble for a kind hand. She hated having her nails clipped and would sneak a nip if she could, but always apologised after with lots of kisses!

Here she is posing with a model piggy.

[img][Image: 7029711457_87b5b19f94.jpg]Ruby and the new boy. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

And this is my favourite photo of her and her Mum. Mother and Daughter reunited again.

[img][Image: 26930137573_157b2977b6.jpg]Ruby and Marigold. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

We buried her right next to her Mum in a paper bag full of sweet hay, just how she liked it. The garden herd now numbers 8.
We miss you so, my lovely Ruby. Enjoy being with your Mum, Marigold and all the other girlies who went before you.
Come and find me when it's time, Cariad.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Aw! Bless you sweet girl, little Ruby. You are beautiful, and your lovely lttle Soul will like it very much where you have gone. I am sure you are together again with your Mama. But you are much missed here by those who love you.

Have a happy time out there little girl, until you are ALL together again. Heart
Smiley19 I am so sorry to hear about dear sweet Ruby passing. She did have a wonderful life with you. I am sure she loved being with Marigold  and is happily reunited with her and all the others in your departed herd.

It seems odd that there is just one farm piggie left. It seems like just yesterday that those piggies were found. Time goes so fast.

You gave Marigold and Ruby such a good life. When you think of how those farm guinea pigs were found, it is unbelievable that things turned out so well.

Rest in peace little Ruby. All your friends are waiting to greet you.

You and I will be swarmed by piggies when we cross the rainbow bridge. We have so many friends waiting for us.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you, both, for your kind thoughts. It always helps to hear from those who understand.
Ruby passing was the end of an era. All our original piggies have now gone.
Our herd is still 5 strong in number, with Cecil as the link between the 2 "phases" of piggies for us. He is the oldest now, but at 3, we hope he has many years left with us. The girls are all younger at 18 months and 1(approx.!!)
Cecil was quite disturbed by Ruby's absence, even though I made sure they all saw her. They gave the usual response of running as far from her as they could get. But he looked for her for 3 days and would have nothing to do with the others, chasing them away crossly while he looked. But it has finally sunk in that she has gone and all is still well. Little Isla hasn't left his side and all the others are very affectionate to him. In his life with us he has seen 5 sows come and go so let's hope this little group of his wives will be around for the rest of his life. I guess that's what happens when you're a Toy Boy!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Poor Cecil. The price of having such a big herd is having big losses. I think he needs his current herd to be with him for the rest of his life.  He deserves that. Good for little Isla. She is being the devoted piggie that he needs to get him through his loss.

Sigh, it is the end of an era. You have lost the last of your original piggies. I just have 6 1/2 year old Norbert, the son of Pigbert, left from the first herd. Everyone else has come after and is unrelated. The herd goes on for us, but there are so many changes.
Robbie is my piggie that links to the old herd.

I am sure Cecil's girls will make every effort to keep him happy and content until his is an old piggie.

It just feels like losing Ruby  is like losing the old herd. While she was around you had a reminder of the early days.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine