Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grieving Blackbird :(
I was working in the garden this afternoon when something swooped so fast over my head, between all the branches. I saw a Buzzard chasing another bird. It caught it, and there was nothing I could do, even though I clapped my hands loudly and made scary noises. 
A Blackbird began to make the alarm call, and kept swooping down to try to fight the Buzzard. I knew it must have taken one of the Blackbird's young (just fledged) By that time it was too late. The shrieking had died away. I decided not to run into the field at that stage as I would probably have prolonged the baby bird's passing by doing that.

For hours now the Blackbrd has been calling and making the alarm call. It is still doing that now. It kept flying back and forth from the nest area to the 'crime scene', and is still doing it.

The Buzzards have young to feed right now. I have heard the young 'skriking' every day. I understand. But it is so tragic and sad.

The Blackbird is grieving hard. Only a creature who has a Soul could grieve like that for so long over a lost loved one.
I feel for the Blackbird. She tried so hard to raise her baby. She may even be hoping that it survived. I know that all things must eat and the buzzard just wants her babies to survive, but it is sad to think of the Blackbird crying for her lost young. Smiley19

This is a happy/sad time of year. Many young birds will survive and learn to fly. Sadly some will be lost.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The Blackbird was making the alarm call on and off for two days, in the same area.

All creatures grieve, it seems. Then I suppose they grow used to the situation, and have to use their energy to find food instead -or die too. So I guess they 'move on'. But who knows what they are feeling, even when it seems they have moved on.

Yes of course, it is Nature's ways that creatures are hunted and killed by others, and there are daily tragedies which mean the survival of another. That doesn't make me hate Nature. But sometimes it does make me wonder why we all come to this Earth to know such things...?
Quote:Yes of course, it is Nature's ways that creatures are hunted and killed by others, and there are daily tragedies which mean the survival of another. That doesn't make me hate Nature. But sometimes it does make me wonder why we all come to this Earth to know such things...?
It is a troubling question for which I have no answer.
Who knows how long animals grieve or how deeply. We can't even really know that about another person.

I am sure the Blackbird moved on and will live to raise other babies. Nature gives us a strong will to survive. It does seem sad that such losses are built into the system.  Again I have no answer to the question of why it is so. Huh
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine