Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hundreds march in protest against slaughterhouses
Hundreds marched in Toronto to protest slaughterhouses and to hold a memorial  for all the many animals who die each year.

They hope to raise awareness of how animals are treated and to encourage people to eat less meat or give it up altogether.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

There are some very dedicated people in Toronto. This is the fourth year this march has been held. They also do mini protests on street corners to raise awareness of how animals are treated by factory farms and slaughterhouses.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Had I been there in my hometown, I would've joined their march. I'm hoping that they're raising awareness about the barbarity poor "food" animals suffer.
There is a real growing movement in Toronto against the slaughterhouses and the barbaric treatment of animals.

I had to work so I couldn't go. I do run into the people doing small protests on street corners. They are amazing people and I always stop and let them know that I support what they are doing. I hope I can join in some day.
Catherine

On a personal level, on the odd occasion when I mention to people about how animals are painfully killed in abattoirs (usually via illegal shortcuts, by stunning not being implemented to increase "productivity" - but also by no stunning in the case of Jewish or Muslim slaughtering), they usually cover their ears and say something like, "Oh, I don't want to hear!"

Old habits die hard, but marches such as the one you have mentioned do a lot of good in spreading the word.
(06-15-2016, 07:34 PM)LPC Wrote: On a personal level, on the odd occasion when I mention to people about how animals are painfully killed in abattoirs (usually via illegal shortcuts, by stunning not being implemented to increase "productivity" - but also by no stunning in the case of Jewish or Muslim slaughtering), they usually cover their ears and say something like, "Oh, I don't want to hear!"

Old habits die hard, but marches such as the one you have mentioned do a lot of good in spreading the word.

It is very sad that those people "don't want to hear".
They are happy to eat the cutlet on their plate, or buy the square-shaped container in the supermarket (neither of which looks anything like an animal, and more like 'dinner' to their de-sensitised thoughts.)

I am very glad to hear that there has been a demonstration like this in Toronto, Catherine.

It is time for us all to be fully conscious about what we put on our plates.
People should have to see where their meat comes from before they eat it. I think if someone saw how the cow was killed they might not want that hamburger after all.

I think there is a strong movement in the Toronto area. There is strong opposition to the cruelty of the meat industry.

There are also vegan restaurants and many ordinary restaurants have vegan/vegetarian options. There are vegan "butchers" who sell alternatives to meat. There must be enough people who want this or the businesses would not survive.

I think there is a growing awareness of the animal cruelty involved in eating meat and the serious environmental impact of raising so many animals for meat.
Catherine