Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new use for pet fur
Finally a company, Spinning Pets Yarn, has found a use for all the pet fur our pets generate.  They will process it into yarn and send it back to you so you can make sweaters and hats and fuzzy blankets with it.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I have mixed feelings about it. Some days I feel like I sleep on a blanket of guinea pig hair anyhow. Do I really want to actually sleep on a blanket of piggie hair. I wonder how all their colours would blend. It is different with a big dog. One dog could give enough hair to provide a complete knitted wardrobe. One guinea pig would take a lifetime to give you one knitted scarf.

I wonder if the idea will catch on.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, I once had a neighbour who did exactly this! She collected bags full of moulted dog hair from her two dogs, and combined it with wool from sheep, which she had simply collected from bushes, brambles, and the grass in fields etc.
She had a spinning wheel, and spun it all together, and knitted a sweater! Yes it was a 'neutral' kind of grey/brownish colour with variations in shade, but it looked very nice.
It took her ages to collect all the fur/wool and make the sweater. But as it was a hobby/experiment, there was no pressure.
It would be a way to feel close to your pet. I collected cat hair and hand spun it and used it in a wall hanging. It was a lovely soft gray and was very pretty when woven with other yarns.

I think some people will like the idea. I can see how using sheep's wool with it would be good. I like the natural colours. They are subtle and pleasant looking.
Catherine

I think it's a good use for discarded fur. It would otherwise just go to waste.
Another good use for it is to put it outside in the Spring and early Summer, because birds really appreciate it to build their nests. It doesn't matter if it blows around, as birds will always find it.
I forgot about using hair for bird's nests.  That would be a good use too.
Catherine

Hey I could totally get enough for a king size blanket out of Payne this year, I think.
I combed her the other day and filled one of those little plastic bags you get from the grocery store. I mean I packed it in there and that was just one combing.
When I finished she was still shedding like I never even combed her.
If I did that every day I'll bet I'd have plenty by the end of summer and Payne would be a LOT cooler.
Then in the winter she could cuddle up with a blanket made from her, lol!!
Love the idea.
One question though, when it got wet would it smell like wet dog? Blech!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Wet dog! Heart Heart Heart  One of the nicest smells in the universe! Smiley4 

Don't mnd me....I'm nuts. I also like the smell of garlic, (even yesterday's garlic on someone's breath)....and mouldy old mushrooms in the woods...and puppy pee....and dogs' feet....and boiled cabbage..... Rotating LOL
Good point, would a dog hair blanket smell like a wet dog when it is washed?

Is wet dog a nasty or nice smell?

I have no idea about either question. I have guinea pigs and they smell sweet when bathed. Of course I have special shampoo.
Catherine