Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yay excitement!
In a couple of months I'm off to live on a boat on the Great Barrier Reef to research humpback whales!

I'm so used to working with small birds and mammals, this is going to be entirely different to anything I've ever done.
I don't know what I'm more excited about, seeing the GBR or seeing whales!
Can't wait!
Oh wow platy! That is very exciting! It will be a wonderful opportunity. Smile
That would be an ideal job all the best to you.
Fantastic! What a wonderful opportunity.

Living on a boat, seeing the GBR and humpback whales. That is an excitement overload. I can't wait to hear al about the experience.  Congratulations.  You landed a dream job.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Wonderful, platy! I'm very pleased for you. I'm sure that you will find this a fascinating experience. Will you be investigating humpback language, amongst all the othert topics? https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8...ge-skills/
Yes that's one of the things we'll be looking at. We'll be recording vocalisations so it can hopefully, eventually be determined what it is they're saying to each other and any differences/similarities in social sounds between sub-stocks.
The GBR is a part of their breeding grounds, so we're looking to identify areas that are most important for breeding.
Identifying individual whales to keep a track of their movements over time and who's doing what.
Collecting genetic samples to determine how much interbreeding is occurring between the sub-stocks.
And some noise impact assessments from boating activities and other species and how noise affects behaviour and communication.

All the data collected is relayed to different organisations, governments and the International Whaling Commission to provide sound information for conservation management.
It's going to be long, hard days of work but totally worth it.

Thanks for the link LPC!
You are going to be doing some really interesting and important stuff. Your work is going to be part of learning about the whales. Who knows, this expedition might make the breakthrough to understanding what they are saying. I wonder if they have anything to say to us.

This is such a wonderful opportunity to learn and contribute.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's going to be such a wonderful experience for you. i've had the pleasure of whale watching here in B.C.
where I've seen Orcas, your trip will be much more exciting.
Oh that would have been amazing cathie! I've always wanted to see orcas. Hopefully next year!
It is a wonderful thing to be involved in a study of the language of another species!

I guess the expedition will be over the course of at least a few weeks....months? What an adventure!