Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgil Dove has died.
I came home and found Virgil Dove dead. I have no idea why. He looked a little off this morning, but nothing serious. Dora is still fine.

I really feel bad for Dora. They were so close. They seemed so happy together. I don't know how old Virgil was so it is possible he was old. It is very hot right now, but my place isn't bad. It is not too hot or too cold.

Virgil is the dove sitting on the edge of the nest.

[Image: IMG_1540.JPG]

I always thought Dora was the fragile one.
I keep thinking I am going to see them sitting together again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh, poor Virgil! I am so sorry to read this. Fly free, dear Virgil, and later you will be with Dora again.

As for the cause, there are so many things which we cannot currently know, but we will understand later. I can only quote another Virgil, who lived long ago:

"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas - Happy is the person who is able to know the causes of things" (Virgil, Georgics II, 490)

Blessings to you, dearest Virgil!
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. And poor Dora must be missing him terribly.
It's a real shock to come home and find them gone, and not knowing the cause is frustrating.
Will you get Dora a new mate?

I hope all your other animals are well.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Thank-you. It was a shock and I doubt I will ever know why he died. There are so many possibilities. 

Dora has eggs so she is sitting on her nest. I think the loss hasn't sunk in yet. When she gives up on these eggs and goes back to their spot she will really feel the loss.

Dora was older than Virgil (that is what I understood) and I wondered if it was fair to put a younger male with an older female.
Now two years later I think it would be really unfair to get a young male. If I find an older male dove it might work out. I can ask around. Maybe someone has an older dove they want to rehome.

Virgil was a fine looking dove and a real gentleman. I miss his sweet little coos and his cheerful personality.
Catherine

I am so sorry Catherine. Bless you Virgil. There is now one more dove in Heaven. One day Dora and he will be together again. Birds are very loyal, so you can rest assured he hasn't forgotten you, or Dora.

It is often hard to know the reason why we all pass. I think that old cliche fits: "It was just his time."
We all have a time to be here and a time to go, and Virgil wanted to do it quickly and with no fuss.

Bless his Soul. Angel
Thank-you. I suspect he was an older bird.  He died so quietly, he wasn't sick or weak. It was a gentle passing with Dora nearby. I checked on him before I left for work and spoke to him and then some time during the day he was gone.

Dora is very quiet right now. I think she will miss him more than anyone ever could. They were so close. He did love Dora and he was sweet with me.

Farewell sweet Virgil, fly free across the rainbow bridge.
Catherine

Catherine, so sorry to hear about Virgil.
It is true some things cannot be explained.
It was a blessing that Virgil passed quickly and quietly.
Dora is also blessed to have you to help comfort her while she grieves, as she will also help comfort you.
R.I.P. dear little Virgil
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Thank-you. We will never know why he went when he did. He was happy while he was here. That is good enough. Dora really was happy with him. She is sitting on the perch where they used to sit together. She looks so forlorn. I am glad I put their cage near the computer. I can talk to her while I type.

Virgil was only with use a short time, but we did enjoy his presence. He is another one of the spring blossoms that flowers briefly and is gone. Perhaps remembered a little more fondly for the briefness of his time.
Catherine

Poor Dora. I am sure your voice and your presence will help her. So she knows she's not alone in the world.

It is sad that some only come here for a short time, whereas some come for a long time...we will never know why that has to be so. I often think of little babies who only live for hours or one day. They have a purpose, but it is hard for us to understand.
There is no reason that we can understand as to why some live long and some live short.

At least Virgil had a happy life. He was very content and had everything he could possibly need.
That is more than most people can say.
Catherine