Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sad day for a flock of Robins
At noon I was watching a pair of Red Tailed Hawks hunting. They kept flying by the trees outside the windows. There are a lot of birds live and feed there. I saw one get  a young Robin. (one of out North American Robins). It is sad for the little bird, but you should have heard the rest of the Robins. The parents were distraught and calling. The rest of the Robins gathered with them and when I left work hours later they were all still giving alarm calls and lamenting. It was sad to hear them. They were not giving up their grieving. They knew the baby was dead and they all wanted to be together to express the loss. It is amazing how many Robins can gather in such a short time.

I know the hawks have to eat and I am sure they have their own babies to feed, but I wish it wasn't such a sad cycle of life sometimes.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(07-14-2016, 03:14 PM)Catherine Wrote: I know the hawks have to eat and I am sure they have their own babies to feed, but I wish it wasn't such a sad cycle of life sometimes.

I agree with you Catherine. This physical world is a very tough place, with lots of suffering and pain.
I am so sorry about the Robin who got taken by the Hawk. I know. Similar happens here. Yesterday I also heard a great noise of alarm-calls by Blackbirds in the Orchard. They went on and on, and I knew what must have happened. Then I saw a Sparrowhawk.
They grieve. They feel it very deeply. A  few weeks ago a Buzzard took a baby Blackbird, and the parents were grieving noisily for two days and more. It is so sad. They work from first light to provide for their young, and then it is taken in ten seconds.

It is very hard to understand why this world has to be so harsh. It is said Souls who volunteer to come here are very brave. It is hard to know for sure what it's all about. This world is so beautiful too. But so much suffering.
You could hear the grief in their cries. Hours later they were still crying. Very likely they are still crying today. I wasn't in the area to find out.

It wasn't just the parents who were upset. The other Robins joined them and they were upset too. Robins must be a very communal bird. They will gather to feast from a tree with ripe fruit. They seem to migrate at the same time.
This time they were grieving together. They had some way of telling the new arrivals what happened. When the hawk struck I was there, but most of the Robins were not. I would have seen that many Robins in one tree.

It can be a sad world when you think about all the things that can happen. It is still a beautiful world and many good things happen as well. I just hate witnessing one of the sad things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine