Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs of heatstroke in dogs
The article talks about the heat wave in Toronto and it lists symptoms of heat stroke in humans.

It also has a very good list of the signs of heat stroke in dogs.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think knowing what heat stroke looks like could prevent  serious consequences for dogs in this heat. Where ever you are, if it is very hot then be careful with your dog. Dogs feel the heat worse than we do. A fur coat on a hot day is not much fun.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you so much for posting this Catherine. It is always good to have a reminder each hot season.

The problem with dogs is that they are at the mercy of their owner's discretion, and because of their nature will chase ball until they drop down and die!....whereas cats will do their own thing and lie still in the shade on a hot day!
I thought it was good to post the signs of heat stroke in dogs and people. Most people do not know the signs and by the time they realize there is a problem it can be too late.

You are right about dogs. They are so vulnerable to our actions. The hot car problem is the worst. It takes very little time for a car to become deadly.

Last year there were many dog deaths. Some of them were actual trained service dogs whose handlers should have known better.

So far this year I haven't hear of any dogs left in cars. Maybe people are getting the message. Also, many places allow you to smash a window to save a dog. So if you leave your dog in the car, someone will smash your window. Also some malls have people who check cars for dogs to make sure that no dog dies in a hot car.

You are right about cats. They have enough sense to get out of the hot sun.
Catherine

I had heatstroke twice and it is not very pleasant. What helped me was staying in a cool dark room, and licking tiny amounts of salt and sips of water.

But of course it's different for dogs as they can't sweat to cool down as humans can. And of course they are wearing a fur coat to start with.
It is important to know what to do about heat stroke. Dogs seem to be very vulnerable or perhaps it is because we take them with us.

I had heat stroke once. It is a bit scary. It was hours before I felt well again.
Catherine