Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye bye little Bat
A tiny Pipistrelle Bat was discovered this morning by guests in the house where I go every day to feed the cat. The woman was scared of touching the Bat, and didn't know what to do, so I brought it home with me, guessing it must have been very dehydrated, as the last guests left 3 days ago, and the new ones only arrived this morning.
That meant the bat had been in the bottom of that dry empty Champagne bucket for at least 3 days.
Yet it looked quite lively, not injured, but I guessed it must be severely dehydrated.
I rang the Bat rescue group, and they agreed that giving it water with a tiny tiny few grains of sugar was okay. Not to handle it too much, and to put it in a safe dark place.
I decided to give it the water every hour rather than giving it too much all at once.

By seven p.m. the bat was doing so well. It was loving the slightly sweet water, and enjoying 'feeding time'. It was interested in crawling onto my hand and seemed to want to sit there. Mindful of the advice not to handle it too much,  I tried to gently put it back to the box, but each time it crawled right back to my hand. It looked up at me. I know it couldn't see, but it was 'sensing' me probably by sonar. It seemed to like me and was very sweet.

The Bat rescue said to leave it until twilight to see if it would fly off.

So after visiting Sally-cat, I thought the Bat and I would try a launch.

But when I got back I found the Bat had passed away.

I know it had been through a tough time, but it looked so lively. I was sure it would be fine....

Bye bye little Creature. It was a pleasure to meet you and help you even a little bit in your final hours. Heart
I am sorry the little bat didn't make it. You tried so hard and it sounds like it did improve for a while. They have such quick metabolisms. Being without food and water even for a short time would be hard on it. Maybe it was a very young bat.

RIP little bat. At least you had good care before you died.

I am impressed that there was a Bat Rescue for you to call. They sound like a good group of caring, knowledgeable people.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sometimes it's just not meant to be, but how sad.
I guess it was just his time, but he clearly felt at home and comfortable with you.
You did all you could and for him, but you'll miss him nevertheless.

RIP dear little Bat.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Well I left the Bat all night lying on the soft absorbent bed I had made it (because it was peeing regularly)
This morning I checked it to make sure it hadn't gone into a torpor (which they can do if they have been without food.) But it was definitely dead as there were no movements in its chest at all and it was stiff and ice cold.
I buried it on Misty's grave. You have to be pretty special to get buried there! lol

Before I buried it, I spread its beautiful wings, and saw every detail of its lovely little body.

In the UK there is a "Bat Helpline". Anyone in UK can call 0345 1300 228. The helpline will give advice, and put someone in touch if necessary with the local Bat Group.

As Bats are a protected species, I think it is the proper legal protocol to call them and ask advice if an injured/otherwise immobilised Bat is found. It is illegal apparently, to keep a Bat as a pet without a special licence. (Which usually concerns Bat colonies on your property, or people who keep rescued Bats.)

Bats apparently can eat 3000 insects a night. But oddly, they can go without food I think for up to 2 days. When they do that, they go into a deep sleep.

But this one wasn't sleeping in any way. He was flying about on the Astral I guess!

Last night I imagined what name he/she would like...."Harriet" came to mind, as did "Helga".....but this morning I found out he was a boy so I guess "Harry" would have been okay.
I think Harry Bat works as a name.

It is sad that he didn't make it. He must have been too far gone when you found him.
I leave animals over night if I am not sure.

I don't suppose too many animals would get to be buried in Misty's grave.

I think it is great that you have a bat helpline. People here don't take bats seriously. We are working to educate them, but it is slow.
Catherine

I think bats are possibly unpopular because of the risk of Rabies from a bite. People have become a bit scared of Bats.
I know that is more common in the US (and Canada?) and also in Europe, than it is in the UK.

But even in the UK there is a slight risk from a Rabies-like infection, "European Bat Lyssavirus", or EBLV. This has only been found in one species, the Daubenton's. And not so far in the Pipistrelle. But a few people have died from infection.
There is more info. here:
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_disease_faqs.html

No I didn't wear tough gloves when handling him. I couldn't be gentle with him while wearing gardening gloves! Anyway he didn't bite me and didn't lick me, and I scrubbed my hands carefully each time I touched him.
I only just saw this thread. You did your very best for him, Tobi. He will remember your kindness, that's for sure.

You mentioned about him "seeing" you with his sonar. I believe that bats' sonars are very accurate and 3D, so no doubt he knew just what your face looked like and he sensed your concern for him. If he were a baby, he may even have thought you were his mother, feeding and caring from him.

Fly free, Harry! Send some astral blessings to Tobi!
Quote:I think bats are possibly unpopular because of the risk of Rabies from a bite. People have become a bit scared of Bats.

I know that is more common in the US (and Canada?) and also in Europe, than it is in the UK.
Right now our rabies risk is low and there are ways of treating an infected person if they get medical help right away.
There is a small outbreak of Raccoon rabies south of where I am and they are handling it by vaccinating raccoons. There was some skunk rabies a number of years ago out on the prairies. I haven't heard of any bat rabies in recent years.

I can understand the fear of rabies, but it is treatable and the animals can be vaccinated to stop and outbreak.

Actually people have disliked bats for a long time and  bats are not the only source of rabies transmission.

This is a good article about rabies.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...KQU7Q---Ug

I think the odds of dying of rabies are very slight even in countries that have rabies. Our fear of it is very intense. There is no balance there. It is like fear of snake bite and shark attack. The fear is greater than the actual risk. More people die of drowning and lightening strikes. I am in far more danger of being hit by a car while crossing the street with a green light in my favour.

So sad that little Harry Bat didn't survive. I hope somehow that the other bats know what you did for him. Too few people will stop to help a bat.
I don't know about your bats, but our little guys eat a ton of mosquitoes and the mosquitos can carry West Nile Virus. So they help to protect us each summer.
Catherine

Well since dear little Harry left I have been bitten 7 times by flies and mosquitoes down by the stream. It makes me more appreciative of what Bats can do in one night.

I think you are right about the fear of Rabies outweighing the actual risk. I contribute to a worldwide dogs' health forum, and we constantly get terrified questions from people who are getting scared of even dogs' saliva! One person in the US was bitten by his own -well cared for- puppy playing with him. He was scrubbing his hands endlessly, couldn't sleep for worry, and no doubt was avoiding the poor little pup, who didn't know what it had done wrong.

While we all have to be careful of Rabies, paranoia can overtake good sense.
Maybe somehow Harry was keeping the bugs from biting you. I hope he has cousins that can take over and do the job.

It is silly to be afraid of getting rabies from a family pet. The puppy would have been vaccinated for rabies. Or at least, it should have been vaccinated. Why  worry about washing your hands if you have failed to vaccinate your pet. If the pet is vaccinated why fear disease transmission.

People are totally irrational about rabies.
It is a scary disease and it is a terrible way to die, but we exaggerate the risk.

That guy probably shouldn't have a puppy as a pet. He is too neurotic and anxious. Puppies need calm people who can deal with the way puppies act.  

Sometimes when people are irrationally afraid of something they do things that put themselves more at risk. If people are that afraid, they should just get vaccinated. I regularly get a tetanus shot since I get bitten now and then. I have probably never been at risk, but it is better to play it safe.
Catherine