The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye bye little Bat
A tiny Pipistrelle Bat was discovered this morning by guests in the house where I go every day to feed the cat. The woman was scared of touching the Bat, and didn't know what to do, so I brought it home with me, guessing it must have been very dehydrated, as the last guests left 3 days ago, and the new ones only arrived this morning.
That meant the bat had been in the bottom of that dry empty Champagne bucket for at least 3 days.
Yet it looked quite lively, not injured, but I guessed it must be severely dehydrated.
I rang the Bat rescue group, and they agreed that giving it water with a tiny tiny few grains of sugar was okay. Not to handle it too much, and to put it in a safe dark place.
I decided to give it the water every hour rather than giving it too much all at once.

By seven p.m. the bat was doing so well. It was loving the slightly sweet water, and enjoying 'feeding time'. It was interested in crawling onto my hand and seemed to want to sit there. Mindful of the advice not to handle it too much,  I tried to gently put it back to the box, but each time it crawled right back to my hand. It looked up at me. I know it couldn't see, but it was 'sensing' me probably by sonar. It seemed to like me and was very sweet.

The Bat rescue said to leave it until twilight to see if it would fly off.

So after visiting Sally-cat, I thought the Bat and I would try a launch.

But when I got back I found the Bat had passed away.

I know it had been through a tough time, but it looked so lively. I was sure it would be fine....

Bye bye little Creature. It was a pleasure to meet you and help you even a little bit in your final hours. Heart

Messages In This Thread
Bye bye little Bat - by Tobi - 07-16-2016, 07:11 AM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Catherine - 07-16-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Cibach - 07-16-2016, 08:37 PM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Tobi - 07-17-2016, 01:55 AM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Catherine - 07-17-2016, 03:33 PM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Tobi - 07-18-2016, 04:11 AM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by LPC - 07-18-2016, 05:05 AM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Catherine - 07-18-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Tobi - 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Catherine - 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Bye bye little Bat - by Tobi - 07-21-2016, 09:49 AM