Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbit virus danger in the UK
I have never heard of the rabbit virus, but I understand that it is very serious. It seems to have spread to England and is endangering wild and domestic populations. They don't know how it is spread and there is no treatment.  It is fatal.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

People may have to keep their rabbits inside and for sure install screens on the windows.

It would be so upsetting to lose a rabbit that way. There is no warning, the rabbits die suddenly and horribly.

I hope they find out how it is transmitted so that people can at least try to protect their pets.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What virus Catherine I know there is one here that is carried by mosquitoes but the rabbits can be innoculated against it,is it myxomotosis?
They are calling it Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHDV2). They say it is a new strain of the disease that is more deadly. They don't know how it is spread so they don't know how to prevent it.

The situation is serious enough that they have cancelled county rabbit shows.

It strikes fast with no warning. Breeders have lost large numbers of rabbits in days.
It must be scary to have a rabbit and not know what can be done to protect it. Right now they have not found a treatment and there is no vaccine.

The worst will happen if it is carried by mosquitos. It is hard to stop a disease like that.
Catherine

Oh this disease is horrible! Not knowing for sure how the virus is transmitted doesn't help.
It reminds me of another disease in the UK affecting dogs; usually dogs walked in certain rural areas. Vets can't find the source and there is little treatment which can help.

Poor little bunnies. Of all creatures, rabbits are the gentlest little things who mean no harm to others and only want to munch weeds and grass!

As it is a bleeding disease, I wonder if Vitamin K therapy would help...(?) That is just a thought. But whatever it is must be interfering with the clotting factor, or even bone marrow.

Thank you for posting this warning Catherine. I hadn't heard of it until  now.
I don't know what rabbit owners can do to protect their bunnies, but at least they should know their is a danger.

Vitamin K is a good thought. Do rabbits eat spinach?

I thought about the dog illness. Are they learning anything about it?
Catherine

Tobi - perhaps it is worth suggesting extra vitamin K to the researchers of this new disease? They may not have thought of a natural cure. Any ideas are better than none.
Yes you are right LPC. I will try my best to do that. I find it hard to imagine that Vitamin K wouldn't immediately spring to vets'/researchers' minds when dealing with a haemorrhagic disease (hope I spelled that right!) But you never know, it might not have done. They might be only approaching it from the 'virus'/antiviral aspect and not thought about supportive treatment.

( Later edit...I just found out that RHD causes blood clot formation in organs such as heart, liver, and kidneys, and this happens very rapidly. It may be that Vitamin K would not be helpful.)

With canine Parvovirus, for example, it is not usually treated with an anti-viral drug, because it is bacteria and secondary infection which do the damage. Aggressive supportive treatment by the time the disease is manifest through symptoms is usually the only option. (Antibiotics/fluids/GI rest etc.)

No Catherine, I don't think there has been any breakthrough with that mysterious disease "Alabama Rot" affecting dogs in the UK. Reports of it seem to have died down recently. It was not known if it was parasite-related, fungus-related, pesticide-related, -or what. But it seemed to be restricted to certain areas where the dog was exercised (for instance, the New Forest, and other places.) So it does sound environmental in origin. Dogs usually died from acute kidney failure very quickly.

http://www.newforest.gov.uk/article/1411...og-illness

I haven't heard reports of a serum being made from the blood of survivors. Actualy I have not heard of any survivors.

One does wonder if these diseases were affecting humans, would there be adequate funding for proper research? It seems the funding for "Alabama Rot" research is on a charitable and 'goodwill' basis so far.
The Alabama Rot does sound like it could be environmental. It only happens to a small number of dogs in a particular area. I would wonder about a plant that is toxic, but only some of the time. Maybe its sap is toxic to dogs. If it absorbed through the skin that would explain the blisters and exposure to certain chemicals will destroy the kidneys very quickly.

The rabbit virus sounds very bad. We have not done well treating any of the haemorrhagic fevers. Look how long it took to get the latest Ebola outbreak under control.

I do hope they at least figure out how it is spread. That would help people to protect their pets.
Catherine