Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumbble Bee Census
They are going to do a bee count in Canada.
I will let you read the article. It is easier than explaining it.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I am glad we are taking bees seriously enough to try and track their numbers.  We still have time to save most species even though they are in decline. I hope the count is a wake up call for how serious the situation is.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am glad to hear they are doing this census in Ottawa, and that they have in mind to protect the Bumble bee too.

I have noticed a lot where I live. But of course, have no way of truly knowing if the population has decined over the years or not. I observed that these bees make holes in the ground to their hive which is underground (well they do here.) Last year I put up a woven green bamboo fence. Suddenly I noticed two or three confused Bumble bees at the base of it! They tried to struggle through the weave to get in and out. I was so sorry, and opened up the weave about a foot off the ground. They accepted that design, and after getting used to a slightly new flight-path, were quite happy going in and out to get to their ground-hole.

I am wondering if developments which concrete over natural earth may discourage them? Some bees however, will use gaps in stonework to enter wall-cavities or natural spaces between stones especially in old buildings, etc

Bumble bees like Dandelions, Forget-me-nots, Clover, Herb Robert....and lots of other flowers which, when examined, have lots of tiny areas to collect nectar, rather than just one large one. But I have also seen them enjoying Fuchsia flowers. But it's true, it is good to plant something (or allow a weed to grow) which is native to the area.
I think this is really important. We are choosing to focus on bees and therefore draw people's attention to them.
Even if there is no way to accurately count the bees it will help us to understand (hove the bee population again.This is what spell check can do to a sentence. I am not even sure what I meant to say.)

That is funny about your fence. I guess bees are creatures of habit.  I know they follow set paths. If you put up a  fence it would completely mess up their plans.

I think we are all working at planting flowers as food. Sometimes I think you just have to plant what will grow. The bees will take it from there.
Catherine

Smiley4  That spell check sentence made me 79
When I am posting from my phone I have to be so careful. Even posting on the computer can be glitchy.

I am not sure what words it changed from or what I was trying to say. I have had spell check insist on a word even though it is not what I am saying.  Sometimes it has the last word because it seems to change things as you are sending them.
Catherine