Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cinnamon Trust--help for elderly pets
I can across an article about the Cinnamon Trust. They help seniors keep their pets at home by pairing them with volunteers who can help with animal care. When sadly the owner dies they provide a home for the pet in a more home like setting.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is a beautiful act of kindness the help an older animal that has lost a beloved older owner.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Fantastic idea.
I hope it catches on elsewhere. They deal with the greatest fear of an older person who has a pet, what will become of the pet if they die.
That fear also stops older people from having a pet when a pet would do them good.
Catherine

Good people! What they do is so important and so caring. Sometimes even though elderly people love their animals, there are things they cannot do any more (such as going for a 1 hour walk and playing frisbee!)
Also you are right Catherine. Many are afraid of what will happen if they pass away.

It is nice to know this help is available.
I would like to see this spread so that seniors everywhere could get help and reassurance.

Wouldn't it be great if there were volunteers to help handicapped people have pets. There certainly is need.

I give extra time to one of my seniors to help her look after her dog. I clean up his pee area and give him baths.  I am sure there are lots of people who could give help where it is needed. There would need to be a way to get people together. I suppose if those of us who care and are capable looked around we would find someone who could use some help. It would work if it is a neighbour or friend who knows us. They would already trust us and know who we are.
Catherine