Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A summer of Animal abuse in China
It has been a summer of animal abuse incidents in China. People are shocked and it is clear that they need some strong animal welfare laws.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think China is a country that could go either way when it comes to animals rights and animal protection. There is clearly a lot of interest in protecting animals, but there are also a lot of people who are willing to abuse animals.

I think which ever way the country goes with regards to Yulin will be a sign of how things will go for animals in general.
There is a lot of work to be done. The animal lovers are a strong group with real concern for animals. I hope they can force change in the right direction.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The basic issue is that there are no animal protection laws in China, except for a few very restricted wildlife protection rules. Domestic animals and laboratory animals have no protection at all: nothing, zero, zilch, nil, nada....

It is this issue which needs to be addressed urgently. At the moment China seems to be polarised into two camps: those who love animals, and those who regard them as disposible, usable objects.
There are many animal advocates and rescue groups in China. Let's hope that their tireless work will begin to influence the way things operate in that country.

I agree, the animal protection laws leave too much to be desired. The only things which can influence a stubborn government into passing animal protection acts, are the general feeling of their people when it is strong and determined. I doubt if they are likely to be moved by international opinion....but they might if the pressure is kept up. Sanctions of course, would help, but the West relies so heavily upon Chinese manufacture -in fact has become dependent on it. Trade sanctions may not work for those reasons.
They are very much a divded country. I think the pro animals people are younger and better educated. But not totally. 
As a country they will have to work this out. 
If they want to trade with the modern world they will need to choose for animal protection and rights
 The world is moving in that direction.

I think they are boarding my flight so I will check back later. Hours later in Edmonton
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine