Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q:What do you give a sick bee?
A: Flowers.

Seriously, bees need more flowers if they are to survive. They need the right kind of flowers and they need less pesticides. Actually they need NO PESTICIDES. Just don't do it.  And plant more flowers.

Why? Because life as we know it really depends on bees.

This article says it better than I ever could.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...6075tea-VQ

The video is very good. It explains the problem very well and gives good solutions.

I have to share this with you. I was at a Toronto Humane Society event and one of the vendors was selling painted floor mats. I fell in love with this. And now I have it on my floor.

[Image: 13267882_542736635898249_532011304726941...e=58545B5F]
I think it expresses the situation perfectly.

In all fairness I am posting the link to the artist's site since I have posted one of her paintings.
https://www.facebook.com/Debs-Painted-Fl...6/?fref=nf

Clearly she loves bees the way I do. If we do not take this seriously we will not have the bees any more.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a very good and moving lecture. Flowers can grow almost anywhere. On areas of waste ground in towns and cities, beside railway tracks, along roadsides. Every country has hundreds and hundreds of miles of roads. It would be amazing to see all these roads verged by healthy pesticide-free flowers!

Even allowing some 'weeds' to grow in a garden will help. Tonight I visited a woman in the village, and as she showed me round her huge garden, she apologised for areas where weeds hadn't been trimmed away, although her garden looked lovely! All these provide flowers. Some were already in flower. That lovely sweet-scented Meadowsweet with frothy white flowers (which is also a good medicinal herb). I did say to her "But the bees will appreciate them."

However I have noticed that any 'fancy' flowers which I plant wil be eaten by something. I would plant an area of Pinks, or Begonia....etc and overnight they will all be eaten. I even saw that rose buds and new rose shoots had been eaten away by something very quickly and very cleanly, (overnight) leaving no evidence of what had done it. But those native species which we often call 'weeds' don't suffer such attacks. The Tea Rose is eaten, but the Dog Rose (native) isn't!

I really like your new Bee Mat Catherine! It is beautiful.
I am with you. We could go back to a world where weeds( I mean wild flowers) grew wild. They could be everywhere. They don't need pesticides and fertilizers. They are drought resistant. They simply survive and provide food for our little bee friends.

The woman in your village is a wise and compassionate person. She knows that we need to provide for the bees and she is actually doing it. I think some of the weeds are very pretty. They are especially nice when there are many of them together, particularly when there is a mix of plant species.

These are some of the bee friends that visit my garden.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...TJFwzTTGYQ

I saw one of the green ones today.

I think we all need to looking out for bees. It is a collective responsibility. Even if nothing I have done has ever contributed to bee deaths, I still have a responsibility to try and help them.

I think that is why the Bee Mat really speaks to me. It was also painted for a pollinator event. She had one left and brought it to the Humane Society event. If you check out her Facebook page she has many beautiful mats and paintings. I just couldn't resist this one.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine