Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye little Bear
I can understand people who are shy of computers. They can be a terrible distraction, and the first time I opened mine, and a couple of weeks later, got on the internet, it was fun at first in a way...but I also felt something I did not like. I still do. Whatever that is I find hard to conceptualise, but sense it. Partly I sense that whatever one does online, is constantly observed....by some organisation somewhere. I truly feel there is not as much privacy as we think there is.
But that doesn't upset me too badly. I am happy to let whatever I wish to 'hang out'! And what I want to be private, I keep private.

However, many things are what we make them, so there are hundreds of positive uses a computer/internet connection can have. A very postive use is for an old person who can't get about easily, so they can shop online. The grocery deliveries are wonderful. I have used them for years.
My Aunt also can't cope with the internet/computers, yet struggles to do her shopping. I have told her I will happily do it for her, and get it sent to her address. Yet for the sake of being able to look at the tomatoes before she buys them, she would rather give up half a day struggling and paying for a taxi.
I have always found the quality of the fresh food sent to be excellent.

It is great also to have easy communication with others, and with subjects a person is interested in. The internet can do so much to make a lonely person feel so included in so many things and useful to others in many ways.
You and I are just young enough to accept computers. I find most people who are past 80 just can't accept them. Some actually fear and hate them. The computer is just a tool. I had it described to me as a giant filing cabinet. That was years ago. It is now more like a library that you can access.
The social media aspects of the internet are something else again. They can be good or bad. I find the people who can handle  social things like telephones, mail and direct people contact, are also able to handle Facebook and forums and all the rest of it. You have to use some common sense. I don't assume everything is true and I don't assume it is untrue. I think about what I am reading.  There really is no one out there sending me random emails who wants to give me a million dollars. There are no rich relatives that I have not yet heard of who have left me a fortune. The emergency phone calls from the tax people are not true either.

There is no privacy on the internet. It is a public place. I live in a big city with surveillance cameras everywhere so I am used to the lack of privacy. I don't have an expectation of privacy except at home and in private messages. I am used to it and I don't even think about it.

So many seniors could shop on the internet and retain their independence. It would be so good. They could get groceries delivered and many other things. They are not used to shopping that way so they don't want to do it.
I have done some online shopping and it works very well. The stuff came in the mail or by a delivery service(Fed Ex/UPS). It was what I ordered and the quality was great. It saved me a day of shopping.

I think the social aspect would be good for seniors if they would just try it. They could chat away to friends all over the world. If they can't sleep there will be someone somewhere else who is awake. There is no need for people to be alone. We just can't get people to accept the help.
There is good food in the stores and people choose to eat junk and poor nutrition foods. We just don't help ourselves.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine