Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girl kills seagull with shovel
This is the strangest story. I don't have a lot of detail yet. A man and his 13 year old daughter are on vacation  in Delaware. Sadly they are Canadian. He watched and laughed as she dug a hole in the sand and put food in it. When a gull went after the food she used her shovel to kill it.

The police were called, but why did no one else stop her.

The father has been charged with child endangerment. I rather think the birds were the ones in danger. She is not being charged with anything.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...uu4qEUjZVg

This is totally crazy. It is crazy that she did it, crazy that the father just watched and totally odd that the father is charged with endangering the girl.

Why are there so many strange animal cruelty cases lately?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, the father was drinking and thought the whole incident was amusing. That is appalling. But to my mind, 13 years of age is old enough to know what you are doing is wrong. I researched the age of criminal responsibility in Delaware, and there does not (unlike in other states) appear to be a minimum age for a case to be refererred for criminal charges. So she could have been charged - but the police have done nothing. (Perhaps they are busy themselves shooting bears, coyotes, etc!)

If the girl is not charged, then she will go through life thinking that it "OK" to kill creatures on a whim - and may do worse things later. It is best, for her sake and that of other animals, to nip this cruel trait in the bud, before she does something even worse.
At very least she should be given a total psych evaluation. What she did is not normal behavior. If it is something she has learned from her father then he should not be caring for her any more. Maybe that is the part of the story we don't know about.

At very least she should be on some kind of probation. An act of animal cruelty like that is a real warning sign. I hope we won't be reading about her in the future as someone who has done terrible things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine