Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stolen dog home after two years!
Two years ago the family dog was stolen from his yard in BC. The family have since moved across he country to Nova Scotia.
The dog was found at a work site in Alberta and ended up at an animal shelter.  He was identified at the shelter because of his tattoo and returned to his people. 

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Once again, having a pet marked with a tattoo or micro chip allows it to be identified and returned home. The dog was not found anywhere near where he was taken.

This is a beautiful happy ending. If only the dog could tell us where he has been. It would be quite a story.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank goodness he and the family are re-united! Thanks to some means of identification.

That dog certainly has a story to tell....who can imagine what might have happened to him. My feeling is he escaped from wherever he was held.

That is so true, about lost dogs being found in areas nowhere near where they were lost. That happens in UK too. It only takes a few hours to travel hundreds of miles on motorways or freeways. It goes to show that when a dog is lost, an alert should be put out across the country.
It is a good thing that the tattoo registry is still active.  It also shows how important it is to keep the information current. Even after two years they knew how to reach the owners.

I agree, he probably escaped from the people who took him. He might have been looking for his people. It is a big area and very much of it is wild. He did well to find people to help him.

The dog was as excited to be home as they were to have him back.
Catherine

I try to sink my imagination into that dog's two years....being stolen first of all, being no doubt transported to an unfamiliar place, then escaping maybe when someone left a cage, house door or gate open. Then whatever happened in the wilderness areas of British Columbia, is anyone's guess.
The chance is that dog made friends in one way or another with people/a person. Otherwise he would have been very vulnerable out in the open, in the wild, through the winters especially.
And to go from a domesticated situation to successful hunting in the wilderness at least three times a week would be very difficult for a dog. Also there would be dangers and predators, or rivals such as wolves.
It sounds like he made friends. I guess we will never know.
These stories always amaze me. The dog was somewhere for two years. He was probably trying to find his way home. If only we could know what had happened. So some time when you befriend an animal and then it moves on, who knows, it may be a lost pet trying to get home. I am sure people helped him. He was well enough and he had traveled. He was a long way from where he was stolen.

If only dogs could talk.

And cats too. Look at the number of times we hear about a cat being found after ten years and a 3 thousand mile trip. There is a story there if only we could hear it.
Catherine

There are some excellent movies hidden in those stories. Yes...if dogs (and cats) could talk, they could get a Hollywood 'option' on their story, and maybe make 20,000 bucks as an advance....and even more if their story was made into a film! If only they know how many treats that could buy! LOL
I'm so glad that this story had a happy ending and the dog is back with his humans. By coincidence, just today a largish attractive dog turned up in our front garden. He looked lost. I tried to get him to come to me, but he was a little scared and ran off into the vegetable garden. From there, he jumped over the compost heap into the alpaca field. Luckily he was not aggressive to the alpacas and was just trying to find a way out.

We had to get the alpacas into their yard and close them in before getting the dog. Then we went with dog biscuits and quickly gained his confidence. He followed us after that!

Fortunately I have a microchip reader. But the dog didn't have a chip! I asked around the area and eventually the dog found his human - a neighbour about 300 metres from us, whom we don't know.

Microchipping is so effective in reconnecting lost/stolen dogs with their humans. Tatooing is no longer used here, as dogs with long hair can pose a real problem. A microchip reader just has to be held close to the dog's neck to be read. It is then possible to consult the national register for the registered caretaker.
Micro chipping is definitely the answer. Pets still make it home sometimes without a chip, but there must be many times when they don't make it home. 

The microchip some of the parrots and bigger birds now. If they get lost they can fly many miles before being found.
With some of the parrots you could get your lost bird back after 20 or 30 years. They have a long life span.

I don't know about chipping reptiles. I must ask around. Barrie would be the one I would consider chipping. If he got out I would hope to get him back. I hope he never gets out, but he is clever. Who knows what he might do.
Catherine