Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millions of Monarch Butterflies have died
It seems that the Monarch is primarily a North American butterfly.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...UbR0ywyeOQ

They are described as an accidental visitor to the UK. You might go your whole life and never see one.

There used to be dozens of butterflies at a time in the garden where I grew up. Even a few years ago I had multiple butterflies in my yard at once.  Last year I saw one and it was far from my place. This year I have seen three and one was in my yard.

I think the milkweed project is working. Also many people are planting butterfly friendly gardens. The loss of so many butterflies in Mexico is staggering, but if we keep up our work here, we can help over come the losses. This year more than ever we need to work hard for the butterflies.  I have a number of milkweed plants growing and seeding. I even have some butterfly bushes growing. They are still small, but they are a start and next year they will be bigger.  I hope someday to look out and see many monarchs flying around my bushes. Until then I will feel a knot of fear inside for the future of the whole species.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millions of Monarch Butterflies have died - by Catherine - 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM